What is the curl of a electric field?

by back2square1
Tags: curl, electric, field
back2square1
Feb7-13, 07:45 AM
P: 13
This should be simple but I know I'm going wrong somewhere and I can't figure out where.
The curl of a electric field is zero,
i.e. [itex]\vec { \nabla } \times \vec { E } = 0[/itex]
Because , no set of charge, regardless of their size and position could ever produce a field whose curl is not zero.

But,
Maxwell's 3rd Equation tells us that,
the curl of a electric field is equal to the negative partial time derivative of magnetic field [itex] \vec {B}[/itex].
i.e. [itex]\vec { \nabla } \times \vec { E } = -\frac { \partial }{ \partial t } \vec { B } [/itex]

So is the curl zero or is it not? If we equate those two equations we get that the time derivative of magnetic field is zero. What's wrong? What am I missing?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
jtbell
Feb7-13, 07:54 AM
Mentor
P: 11,251
Quote Quote by back2square1 View Post
The curl of a electric field is zero,
i.e. [itex]\vec { \nabla } \times \vec { E } = 0[/itex]
That should read, "the curl of an electrostatic field is zero," that is, the electric field associated with a set of stationary charges has a curl of zero. In this situation, there is no magnetic field, so ##\partial \vec B / \partial t = 0##.
back2square1
Feb7-13, 09:57 AM
P: 13
Oh. Thanks. Got it. Sometimes things as simple as this slip off.

Register to reply