In ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}## why can ##\nabla## pass through the integral?

zenterix
TL;DR Summary
Suppose we wish to calculate ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}## directly (ie, not by the use of the divergence theorem) when we have a continuous source charge.

We have a dot product between ##\nabla## and the integral of a vector. Why can ##\nabla## pass into the integral?
We have

$$\vec{E}(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_V\frac{\rho(\vec{r}')}{\eta^2}\hat{\eta}d\tau'\tag{1}$$

A few initial observations
1) I am using notation from the book Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths. When considering point charges, this notation uses position vectors ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{r}'## for field and source charges, respectively, and a separation vector ##\vec{\eta}=\vec{r}-\vec{r}'##.

2) In the case I am considering we have a continuous source charge distribution and a fixed field point at which we are computing the electric field due to the source.

3) ##d\tau'## is an infinitesimal volume element. Note that in (1), ##\vec{r}## is the fixed field point at which we are computing the electric field. We are integrating over the source charge and ##\vec{r}'## is the position of ##d\tau'##.

4) ##\rho(\vec{r}')'d\tau'## is ##dq'##, an infinitesimal charge on the continuous source charge.

My question boils down to: in the dot product ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}## why can ##\nabla## pass through the integral such that we can write the following?

$$\nabla\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_V \nabla\cdot\left ( \frac{\hat{\eta}}{\eta^2}\right )\rho(\vec{r}')d\tau'\tag{2}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the integration is over primed coordinates, and the divergence operator here uses unprimed coordinates in its derivative.

Likes Delta2, vanhees71 and zenterix
Charles Link said:
Because the integration is over primed coordinates, and the divergence operator here uses unprimed coordinates in its derivative.
I was just about to amend my question with that interpretation. Though it is simple to state that, I find it quite difficult to grasp at this point.

In ##\nabla\cdot\left ( \frac{\hat{\eta}}{\eta^2}\right )##, we are calculating the divergence of a vector function

$$\vec{v}(\vec{r})=\frac{\hat{\eta}}{\eta^2}=\frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{\lVert \vec{r}-\vec{r}'\rVert^3}$$

This is a function of ##\vec{r}## with ##\vec{r}'## fixed.

So it seems that as far as the ##\nabla## operator is concerned ##\frac{\hat{\eta}}{\eta^2}\rho(\vec{r}')## is a function of ##\vec{r}## with ##\vec{r}'## fixed.

Intuitively, the integral is a summation of infinite terms, each of which is this vector function evaluated at a specific value of ##\vec{r}'## (ie the values at each position in the volume being considered).

Since dot product has the distributive property, then when we apply ##\nabla## to this summation via dot product it distributes over the vector functions in the summation. This is equivalent to applying ##\nabla## to the function and then evaluating it at each of the values of ##\vec{r}'##.

After writing it out like this it makes sense to me. Is this correct?

I think it makes sense. The way I would explain it is that you can first do the sum (integration) over all the primes and take the unprimed derivative after you sum everything, or you can take the unprimed derivative on each term of the sum, and then sum them.

Likes zenterix
Perhaps a better explanation than what I just gave you is you can do the integration first for ##r= r_o ## and then for ## r=r_o+\Delta r ##, and then take the difference,(derivative operation), or you can put in the ## r_o ## and ##r_o+\Delta r ## and take the difference of the terms inside the integral before you do the integration.

Likes zenterix
zenterix said:
I was just about to amend my question with that interpretation. Though it is simple to state that, I find it quite difficult to grasp at this point.

In ##\nabla\cdot\left ( \frac{\hat{\eta}}{\eta^2}\right )##, we are calculating the divergence of a vector function

$$\vec{v}(\vec{r})=\frac{\hat{\eta}}{\eta^2}=\frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{\lVert \vec{r}-\vec{r}'\rVert^3}$$

So it seems that as far as the ##\nabla## operator is concerned ##\frac{\hat{\eta}}{\eta^2}\rho(\vec{r}')## is a function of ##\vec{r}## with ##\vec{r}'## fixed.

Intuitively, the integral is a summation of infinite terms, each of which is this vector function evaluated at a specific value of ##\vec{r}'## (ie the values at each position in the volume being considered).

Since dot product has the distributive property, then when we apply ##\nabla## to this summation via dot product it distributes over the vector functions in the summation. This is equivalent to applying ##\nabla## to the function and then evaluating it at each of the values of ##\vec{r}'##.

Indeed the expression ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v}(\vec{r},\vec{r}')## means to take the partial derivatives with respect to the components ##(x_1,x_2,x_3)## of ##\vec{r}## considering the components ##(x_1',x_2',x_3')## of ##\vec{r}'## as constant.

If you work in Cartesian coordinates for ##\vec{r} \neq \vec{r}'## you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}=\frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3} \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{r}-\vec{r}') + (\vec{r}-\vec{r}') \cdot \vec{\nabla} \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}.$$
Now
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{r}-\vec{r}')=3$$
and
$$\vec{\nabla} \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3} = -\frac{3}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^4} \vec{\nabla} |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|= -\frac{3 (\vec{r}-\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^5}.$$
Putting everything together you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}=0.$$
That's to be expected since
$$\vec{E}(\vec{r})=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}$$
is the electric field of a point charge at ##\vec{r}'##. The charge density is thus 0 everywhere, except at ##\vec{r}=\vec{r}'##, where it is undefined or rather infinite.

In the sense of distributions a point charge at ##\vec{r}'## is represented by the charge density
$$\rho(\vec{r})=Q \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}'),$$
and in this same sense you thus find
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \vec{\nabla} \cdot \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0} \rho(\vec{r}) \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}'),$$
i.e.,
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}=4 \pi \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}').$$
Now you can also express everything in terms of the electrostatic potential,
$$\Phi(\vec{r})=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}.$$
Since ##\vec{E}=-\vec{\nabla} \Phi## you get
$$-\Delta \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} =4 \pi \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}'),$$
i.e.,
$$G(\vec{r},\vec{r}')=\frac{1}{4 \pi |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}$$
is the Green's function of ##-\Delta##, i.e., you can write the solution for
$$-\Delta \Phi(\vec{r}) = \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \rho$$
as
$$\Phi(\vec{r})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 r' G(\vec{r},\vec{r}') = \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 r' \frac{\rho(\vec{r}')}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}$$
and then you get again
$$\vec{E}(\vec{r}) = -\nabla \Phi(\vec{r}) = -\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 r' \vec{\nabla}\frac{\rho(\vec{r}')}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} = \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 r' \frac{\rho(\vec{r}') (\vec{r}-\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}.$$

zenterix said:

If you replace the integral with a finite sum, then you have the additive property of the derivative for a sum of functions of ##r##. In this case ##r'## would be replaced by an integer index over a finite range.

The question is whether this simple process can be extended to the case where the finite sum is replaced by an integral, which is the limit of a sequence of finite sums - with ##r'## replacing the integer dummy index. For appropriately well-behaved functions the answer is yes. It's also possible to find more exotic functions where the order of the derivative and the integral cannot be interchanged.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
For appropriately well-behaved functions the answer is yes. It's also possible to finite more exotic functions where the order of the derivative and the integral cannot be interchanged.
I think it needs an extra argument at ##r'=r.## The "Feynman trick" (exchanging differentiation and integration) works fine if the integrand is continuously differentiable along the differentiating variable. If not, then there are counterexamples:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-art-of-integration/#The-Feynman-Trick-–-Parameter-IntegralsBut that's only the mathematical point of view. I was always wondering how physicists deal with the singularity at the center of such potentials, be it electromagnetic or gravitational.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Charles Link
As usual, physicists don't bother much and just integrate. In this case they are lucky enough that it works ;-). It's amazing how far you get with such a sloppy attitude, but sometimes you get into trouble. The examples that come to my mind are rather in quantum mechanics, where the domain of self-adjoint operators is usually not considered. Also here you get amazingly far. One of my math professors said that's, because the (separable) Hilbert space is almost as goodmannered as finite-dimensional vector spaces ;-)).

Likes fresh_42, PeroK and Delta2

1. Why can ##\nabla## pass through the integral in ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}##?

When the operator ##\nabla## acts on the dot product of a vector field ##\vec{E}##, it only operates on the vector components of ##\vec{E}## and not the dot product itself. This property allows the operator ##\nabla## to pass through the integral.

2. Does ##\nabla## always commute with the dot product?

Yes, the operator ##\nabla## always commutes with the dot product. This means that you can freely move ##\nabla## through the dot product without changing the result of the operation.

3. What happens if ##\nabla## does not pass through the integral in ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}##?

If ##\nabla## does not pass through the integral in ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}##, it would imply that the operator is acting on the entire expression, including the dot product. This would result in a different mathematical operation and a different physical interpretation.

4. Is there a specific rule or theorem that allows ##\nabla## to pass through the integral in ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}##?

Yes, there is a mathematical property known as the divergence theorem, which states that the divergence of a vector field can be expressed as a volume integral of the dot product of the gradient operator and the vector field. This theorem justifies the ability of ##\nabla## to pass through the integral in ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}##.

5. Can you provide a physical interpretation of why ##\nabla## can pass through the integral in ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}##?

Physically, the operator ##\nabla## represents a spatial derivative or gradient, while the dot product ##\cdot## represents a scalar product. Since the gradient operator only acts on the vector components of the field and not the dot product itself, it can pass through the integral without affecting the result, allowing for a seamless mathematical operation.