bromine isotopes

by alyse93
Tags: bromine, isotopes
alyse93
Feb10-13, 06:21 PM
P: 1
There are two different isotopes of bromine atoms. Under normal conditions, elemental bromine consists of molecules, and the mass of a molecule is the sum of the masses of the two atoms in the molecule. The mass spectrum of consists of three peaks:

Mass Relative Size
157.836 0.2569
159.834 0.4999
161.832 0.2431

a)What is the isotopic composition of each peak?
b)What is the atomic mass of each isotope?
c)Determine the average mass of Br2 molecule.
d)Determine the average atomic mass of a bromine atom.
e)What is the percent abundance of the two isotopes?

here is some of my work, im not sure if this correct, can someone help me get through the questions with explantons on how to do them.
(157.836 x 0.2569 + 159.834 x 0.4999 + 161.832 x 0.2431)/2 <- i think this gives me a mass
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Borek
Feb11-13, 02:07 AM
Admin
P: 22,665
Yes, that would be a molar mass of the Br2.

Each molecule is made of two atoms. There are two kinds of atoms - a lighter one, and a heavier one. What combinations of these atoms are possible? Can you assign these combinations to the peaks?
AGNuke
Feb11-13, 02:09 AM
P: 415
That's a standard procedure of finding the weighted average molecular mass depending on the abundance of each isotope. Its just like finding the centre of mass for a system.

Register to reply