What is the percent abundance of 140Ce in Cerium?

In summary, to find the percent abundance of two isotopes, you need to use the weighted average based on their isotopic abundances and atomic masses. For cerium (58Ce), with two commonly occurring isotopes (140Ce and 142Ce), the approximate percent abundance of 140Ce can be found by dividing its atomic mass (139.905439 amu) by the total atomic mass of cerium and multiplying by 100%. This information can be found in tables, such as the one provided by Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.
kceddis
i am trying to figure out the percent abundance of two isotopes. i know how to set up the problem but i don't know how to find the weight of each isotopes. here is the problem:

Cerium (58Ce) has two commonly occurring isotopes, 140Ce and 142Ce. what is the approximate percent abundance of 140Ce?

Physics news on Phys.org
140Ce means that the isotope has an atomic mass of (approximately) 140 amu.

kceddis said:
i am trying to figure out the percent abundance of two isotopes. i know how to set up the problem but i don't know how to find the weight of each isotopes. here is the problem:

Cerium (58Ce) has two commonly occurring isotopes, 140Ce and 142Ce. what is the approximate percent abundance of 140Ce?
What is the given mass of natural cerium? The mass should be a weighted average based on the isotopic abundances and the mass of each isotope. For two isotopes, it's pretty simple.

Hi kceddis-
There are an abundance of tables on isotopes and nuclear data at LBL (Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory) follow your google search by site:lbl.gov

Here is a table for finding atomic masses of all the isotopes.
http://ie.lbl.gov/toi2003/MassSearch.asp
In this case, type in the elemend Z# or symbol, and it gives the atomic masses of all the isotopes of that element. The masses are given in micro atomic units, so you have to divide by 1 million. For example Ce-140 is shown as 139905439 which is actually 139.905439 amu's (atomic mass units).
I hope this helps
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the percent abundance of isotopes?

The percent abundance of isotopes refers to the relative amount or percentage of a specific isotope present in a sample of an element.

2. How is the percent abundance of isotopes determined?

The percent abundance of isotopes is determined through various methods, such as mass spectrometry, which separates the different isotopes based on their mass-to-charge ratio, or through radioactive decay measurements.

3. Why is the percent abundance of isotopes important in chemistry?

The percent abundance of isotopes is important in chemistry because it affects the atomic and molecular properties of an element. Isotopes with different mass numbers may have different physical and chemical properties, which can impact reactions and processes.

4. Can the percent abundance of isotopes change?

Yes, the percent abundance of isotopes can change over time due to natural processes such as radioactive decay or human activities like nuclear reactions. However, in stable elements, the percent abundance of isotopes remains relatively constant.

5. How is the percent abundance of isotopes represented in a chemical symbol?

The percent abundance of isotopes is represented by the mass number, which is the sum of the number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus. For example, the chemical symbol for carbon-12 would be written as 12C, where 12 is the mass number.