Register to reply

Conservative forces and systems

by Aniket1
Tags: conservative, forces, systems
Share this thread:
Aniket1
Feb9-13, 11:38 AM
P: 45
I read in a book that if the constraint forces do work, the system is conservative, else it's nonconservative. In that case, consider a system of two bodies moving in an elliptical path under gravitational attraction. Since the gravitational force is continuously doing work on the particles, by the above definition, gravitation is a nonconservative force and the system is nonconservative. However, the mechanical energy of the system remains constant and in newtonian mechanics, gravitation is classifed under conservative force. Can someone explain where am I going wrong.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
russ_watters
Feb9-13, 12:16 PM
Mentor
P: 22,294
Are you counting the kinetic and potential energy of the orbiting object?
Aniket1
Feb10-13, 12:34 AM
P: 45
Yes.

WannabeNewton
Feb10-13, 12:40 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,616
Conservative forces and systems

What book did you read this in?
mickybob
Feb11-13, 05:19 AM
P: 34
Quote Quote by Aniket1 View Post
I read in a book that if the constraint forces do work, the system is conservative, else it's nonconservative. In that case, consider a system of two bodies moving in an elliptical path under gravitational attraction. Since the gravitational force is continuously doing work on the particles, by the above definition, gravitation is a nonconservative force and the system is nonconservative. However, the mechanical energy of the system remains constant and in newtonian mechanics, gravitation is classifed under conservative force. Can someone explain where am I going wrong.

Gravity is not a constraint force.

The term 'constraint force' is used to describe forces that essentially act to impose boundary conditions. An example is the reaction force of the ground on you, stopping you falling through it.

Generally these forces don't do work, since they don't act through any distance.

So the question of them being conservative or non-conservative is meaningless.

Register to reply