Register to reply

Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods ?

by Serena_hm
Tags: differences, gauss, methods, newton, raphson, seidel
Share this thread:
Serena_hm
Feb11-13, 09:07 AM
P: 18
hello everyone ...

can any one please summarize me the differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods in load flow study !?

I'll be really thankful
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
Researchers develop tool to predict the level of driver discomfort caused by LED lighting
New inexpensive and easy to implement computer software provides real-time and highly accurate data on traffic
rbj
Feb11-13, 01:28 PM
P: 2,251
i'm an EE and i have no idea what a "load flow study" is.

the Newton-Raphson and Gauss-Seidel are two different things.

as best as i can tell Gauss-Seidel is sorta equivalent to what we usually call Gaussian elimination, but i may be wrong. both are for solving a set of N linear equations with N unknowns. i don't imagine there are too many problems (like multiple, equally-valid solutions) if the N equations are all linearly independent.

Newton-Raphson is for solving for the roots of N non-linear equations. it's an iterative method that converges on a result. there are possibilities of the thing not converging on a solution, or sometimes converging on a valid solution, but it isn't the set of roots that you want. a set of N non-linear equations might have more than one result set of the N unknowns.
Serena_hm
Feb11-13, 06:37 PM
P: 18
thanks for your explanation , I meant with load flow study , power flow study in power system

rbj
Feb11-13, 08:17 PM
P: 2,251
Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods ?

okay, whatever the application is, the Gauss Seidel is for a system of linear equations and Newton-Raphson is for a single non-linear equation or a system of non-linear equations.

Register to reply