Register to reply

Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods ?

by Serena_hm
Tags: differences, gauss, methods, newton, raphson, seidel
Share this thread:
Serena_hm
Feb11-13, 09:07 AM
P: 18
hello everyone ...

can any one please summarize me the differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods in load flow study !?

I'll be really thankful
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
rbj
Feb11-13, 01:28 PM
P: 2,251
i'm an EE and i have no idea what a "load flow study" is.

the Newton-Raphson and Gauss-Seidel are two different things.

as best as i can tell Gauss-Seidel is sorta equivalent to what we usually call Gaussian elimination, but i may be wrong. both are for solving a set of N linear equations with N unknowns. i don't imagine there are too many problems (like multiple, equally-valid solutions) if the N equations are all linearly independent.

Newton-Raphson is for solving for the roots of N non-linear equations. it's an iterative method that converges on a result. there are possibilities of the thing not converging on a solution, or sometimes converging on a valid solution, but it isn't the set of roots that you want. a set of N non-linear equations might have more than one result set of the N unknowns.
Serena_hm
Feb11-13, 06:37 PM
P: 18
thanks for your explanation , I meant with load flow study , power flow study in power system

rbj
Feb11-13, 08:17 PM
P: 2,251
Differences between Newton Raphson & Gauss Seidel Methods ?

okay, whatever the application is, the Gauss Seidel is for a system of linear equations and Newton-Raphson is for a single non-linear equation or a system of non-linear equations.

Register to reply