Power flow studies using Jacobi and Gauss Seidel

In summary, the conversation discusses using two iterative methods, Jacobi and Gauss Seidel, to solve load flow distribution in a power network. The use of MATLAB is suggested to find where the solution converges, but the task also includes providing graphical analysis of the results. The speaker is unsure of how to show the graph and what it should depict. Another person suggests using GNU Octave or a student version of Powerworld for more complex systems. It is suggested to provide a graph of maximum mismatch versus iteration number, where the interactions cease when the maximum mismatch falls below the tolerance. CPU time is also mentioned as a more meaningful number than iteration count.
Bourbon daddy
I have been asked to solve the actual load flow distribution in a given power network using two iterative methods. I have chosen Jacobi and Gauss Seidel.

we have to use MATLAB to find where the solution converges.

I am fine with all of this, but we have been tasked with providing graphical analysis of the results.

I am new to MATLAB, so would prefer to use excel as I can do this at home, but i am unsure as to how a graph would be shown and the purpose in showing it?

What would I provide a graph of? Where the solution converges for each of the nodes?

Can anyone offer some insight into this.

regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have complex elements in the matrix? If so, Excel will let you down. GNU Octave is free and similar to MATLAB. If you are working with power flow, you could also get a student version of Powerworld. It will analyze these types of systems as well.

Are these large, real world systems or simply a smaller class type problem? Perhaps you can crank out on a good graphing calculator such as a Ti-89 or any Hp graphing calculator (the Ti-83/84 is not capable of this).

Bourbon daddy said:
What would I provide a graph of?

i'd see what these folks use

http://fnetpublic.utk.edu/gradientmap.html

check their contact page. Knoxville Tennessee is the friendiest place i ever visited.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want a graph of maximum mismatch versus iteration number.

At each bus, add the complex power flows in and out. They should sum to zero. The actual sum is the mismatch. The interactions cease when the maximum mismatch falls below the tolerance.

By the way, CPU time rather than iteration count is a more meaningful number.

1. What is a power flow study?

A power flow study is a method used in electrical engineering to analyze the flow of power in an electric power system. It calculates the voltage, current, and power flow in each component of the system, such as generators, transformers, and transmission lines, to determine if the system is operating within safe limits and to identify potential issues.

2. What is the difference between Jacobi and Gauss Seidel methods?

Jacobi and Gauss Seidel are both iterative methods used to solve systems of linear equations. The main difference is that Jacobi method updates all variables in the system simultaneously, while Gauss Seidel method updates the variables one at a time. This makes Gauss Seidel method more efficient and accurate, as it uses the most recent values for each variable in each iteration.

3. How do Jacobi and Gauss Seidel methods work in power flow studies?

In power flow studies, Jacobi and Gauss Seidel methods are used to solve the power flow equations, which represent the balance of power in the system. These methods iteratively update the voltage and phase angle values for each bus in the system until the power flow equations are satisfied. This provides a solution for the voltage and power flow at each bus in the system.

4. What are the advantages of using Jacobi and Gauss Seidel methods in power flow studies?

The main advantage of using Jacobi and Gauss Seidel methods in power flow studies is that they are computationally efficient and can handle large and complex power systems. They also provide a fast and accurate solution to the power flow equations, allowing engineers to identify potential issues and make necessary adjustments to maintain the stability and reliability of the power system.

5. Are there any limitations to using Jacobi and Gauss Seidel methods in power flow studies?

One limitation of using Jacobi and Gauss Seidel methods in power flow studies is that they may not converge in certain cases, such as when the system has a high level of complexity or when there are voltage control issues. In these cases, other methods, such as Newton-Raphson method, may be more suitable. Additionally, these methods only provide a steady-state solution and do not account for transient conditions in the power system.