Register to reply

Move water molecules

by fredreload
Tags: molecules, water
Share this thread:
fredreload
Feb11-13, 05:10 AM
P: 34
Can a strong magnetic field move water molecules because it is a polar molecule. How strong does the field need to be?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Borek
Feb11-13, 05:41 AM
Admin
P: 23,574
Since when magnetic field interacts with stationary charges?
fredreload
Feb11-13, 11:21 AM
Water molecule has an electric dipole, so if it is possible to change its orientation in magnetic field, maybe it is possible to move it?

EricVT
Feb11-13, 11:37 AM
P: 163
Move water molecules

Have you came across this in your research of this topic?
Khashishi
Feb11-13, 11:57 AM
P: 887
You might be confusing magnetic field with electric field. A strong electric field and low temperature should cause the water molecules to line up. I don't know if this would form a weird solid-ish phase.
fredreload
Feb11-13, 12:13 PM
I am lost on the differences and I came across this article. (http://www.physicscentral.com/experi...20120210095446)
Thanks for clarifying.

How bout giving water a magnetic moment then moving it with electric field?
Drakkith
Feb11-13, 03:29 PM
Mentor
P: 11,873
Quote Quote by fredreload View Post
How bout giving water a magnetic moment then moving it with electric field?
I don't believe the electric field has any effect on magnetic moments.
fredreload
Feb11-13, 06:51 PM
How about electric field effect on magnet, since electric field attracts or repels charges such as electrons and protons. I should say water molecules being passed through a magnetic field instead of magnetic moment.
Drakkith
Feb11-13, 07:07 PM
Mentor
How about electric field effect on magnet, since electric field attracts or repels charges such as electrons and protons. I should say water molecules being passed through a magnetic field instead of magnetic moment.
The magnet has a neutral electric charge, so nothing will happen. And water molecules are only very very weakly diamagnetic, and will be very slightly repelled by a magnetic field. But it takes an extremely strong magnet to even notice the effect.
fredreload
Feb11-13, 08:50 PM
You are right, the effect of an electric field on water seems to be much stronger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYyvOyMowc
Drakkith
Feb11-13, 08:54 PM
Mentor
You are right, the effect of an electric field on water seems to be much stronger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYyvOyMowc
Interesting. I would not have guessed that the water would have been attracted to the rod.
L4xord
Feb12-13, 03:40 AM
P: 10
Really? I believe the same effect is achieved with a charged balloon.
kbar1
Feb12-13, 05:17 AM
P: 15
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
And water molecules are only very very weakly diamagnetic, and will be very slightly repelled by a magnetic field. But it takes an extremely strong magnet to even notice the effect.
A 10 gigatesla field ... would be lethal even at a distance of 1000 km, tearing tissues due to the diamagnetism of water. At a distance halfway to the moon ... could strip information from the magnetic stripes of all credit cards on Earth.

From [en.wikipedia.org].

Register to reply