Investigating the water-ice electret

In summary, the speaker is planning to investigate the properties of water when frozen in a strong electric field for a product design. They will use a car battery and parallel plates to create the field and are wondering how to measure the resulting dipole moment. They mention the polarisation density of water and the challenge of maintaining it in the ice phase. They are seeking advice on equipment for detecting the electrostatic field, specifically mentioning their inexperience with sensors and interest in avoiding moving parts. They also mention the different types of ice and provide additional resources for information.
Robsta
Hello all, I'm going to investigate the properties water when frozen in a strong electric field for a product I'm designing.

A strong field will align the polar water molecules, and then they will freeze. I'm planning to create this strong field with a car battery attached to two parallel plates for my proof of concept. When the battery is switched off, the lump of ice should retain a measurable dipole moment.

My question is, can anybody help me predict what dipole moment it will have and what apparatus I would need to measure it?

I can work out the polarisation density of the water, $$ P = \chi _e \epsilon _0 E $$ where $$ \chi _e = 79 $$ for water. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing how much of this polarisation will be maintained when the water molecules shift into a lattice in the ice phase.

In any case, the field generated by the polarised ice once the main field is switched off will be small, and I wondered if anybody knows what equipment I should use to detect it? I'd really like to avoid moving parts if possible, but I think that might be hard when looking for an electrostatic field.

I'm an undergraduate physicist and I'm not very experienced with sensors and instruments for detecting E fields.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a water-ice electret?

A water-ice electret is a type of electret material made up of water molecules that have been frozen into a solid state. It is similar to traditional electret materials, which are made up of polymers that have been polarized to create a permanent electric charge.

2. How is a water-ice electret different from other electret materials?

Unlike traditional electrets, which are typically made from synthetic materials, a water-ice electret is a natural material that can be found in nature. It also has unique properties, such as the ability to hold a charge for a longer period of time and the ability to be easily recharged by exposure to water or ice.

3. What is the purpose of investigating water-ice electrets?

The purpose of investigating water-ice electrets is to understand their properties and potential applications. This type of electret has properties that make it suitable for use in various technologies, such as energy storage and environmental monitoring devices.

4. How are water-ice electrets created?

Water-ice electrets are created by exposing water molecules to an electric field while they are in a frozen state. This process aligns the molecules and creates a permanent electric charge within the material.

5. What are some potential applications of water-ice electrets?

Water-ice electrets have potential applications in energy storage, environmental monitoring, and biomedical devices. They can also be used in sensors, actuators, and other electronic components.