How Do Photons Mediate Attraction Between Oppositely Charged Particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electrons, protons, and photons in terms of their charges and attractions. The explanation for this is based on mathematical models in quantum mechanics, with no intuitive logic behind it. The concept of charge is associated with conserved quantum numbers and the electric charge is the generator of the U(1) symmetry in electromagnetism. The Pauli exclusion principle and standing wave behavior also play a role in explaining why electrons do not spiral into the nucleus despite the attraction from protons. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexities of understanding these phenomena and the limitations of our current knowledge.
Lazernugget
Sorry if this post seems short, I had to write it in a hurry.

I'm currently reading Leonard Susskind's 'The Cosmic Landscape'. In it, he describes how electrons and protons both emit photons, which is what gives them their charge. The explanation is really awesome, but I have one thing I can't figure out. Electrons have negative charge and protons have positive, but their photons are the same type, right? So wouldn't they repel even though they are opposite charges? What property of the photon makes positive and negative things attract instead of repel, and why don't they electrons spiral into the nucleus if the protons attract the electrons?

Thanks,

-Lazer

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish my answers were as good as your questions!

Electrons have negative charge and protons have positive, but their photons are the same type, right?

yes, they are gauge bosons, a mathematical entity in quantum mechanics. I don't think there
is any fundamental 'intuitive logic' beyond the mathematical description which has been found to work. But maybe someone can astound us!
So wouldn't they repel even though they are opposite charges?
What property of the photon makes positive and negative things attract instead of repel

well, I can't answer this question within QM in an intuitive way, but I can say the logic stated is incorrect: you could equally posit 'same charges attract'..and that would also be incorrect. A simple/superficial answer is 'we ascribe different mathematical symbols/values related to different charge.' [If we observed three types of electric charge, we'd use a different model with three values!]

For example, in classical electromagnetism the Coulomb force between particles is simply assigned a plus or minus depending on charge type...If the two charges have the same sign, the electrostatic force between them is repulsive; if they have different sign, attractive...Not especially intuitive...and the electromagnetic field is the same in either case.

Again, I think the best 'final' explanation within QM will be mathematical along the lines of charge being associated with conserved quantum numbers and the electric charge being the generator of the U(1) symmetry of electromagnetism...

Who ordered THAT?? well, it works in QED. That is; it very accurately describes what we observe.

and why don't they electrons spiral into the nucleus if the protons attract the electrons?...

again, I don't know of a logical/intuitive explanation. One 'simple' answer is the Pauli exclusion principle...It is based on spin statistics and mathematical symmetry considerations
which result in bound particles exhibiting quantized behavior: Electrons cannot occupy the same quantum state, so electrons have to "stack" within an atom, that is, have different quantum numbers [mathematical characteristics]. A related viewpoint is that all bound particles become quantized, and this is described via standing waves...like resonant vibrations of a violin string...or confining a particle in a potential 'box'. String theory ascribes such behavior based on tension and energy of the vibrating modes of the string...

yeah, a bit 'hand-wavy' I guess.

Last edited:

1. What is photon exchange in atoms?

Photon exchange in atoms refers to the interaction between photons (particles of light) and atoms. This exchange occurs when photons are either absorbed or emitted by atoms, causing changes in their energy levels.

2. How does photon exchange affect atomic structure?

Photon exchange plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and stability of atoms. When photons are absorbed by atoms, they can cause electrons to jump to higher energy levels. When photons are emitted, electrons can drop to lower energy levels. These changes in energy levels can affect the overall structure and behavior of atoms.

3. What are some examples of photon exchange in atoms?

Some common examples of photon exchange in atoms include the absorption or emission of light by atoms, the production of fluorescence and phosphorescence in certain materials, and the creation of spectral lines in atomic spectra.

4. How is photon exchange related to spectroscopy?

Photon exchange is closely related to spectroscopy, which is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. Spectroscopy techniques, such as absorption and emission spectroscopy, rely on photon exchange to provide information about the energy levels and structure of atoms.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding photon exchange in atoms?

Understanding photon exchange in atoms has many potential applications, including the development of new technologies such as lasers and LEDs, the study of atomic and molecular processes, and the development of new materials for use in various industries.