Register to reply

How would I prove that ln (lim (u)) = lim (ln (u))

by MadViolinist
Tags: prove
Share this thread:
MadViolinist
Feb12-13, 05:01 PM
P: 18
We were working with L'hospital's rule and my teacher said that the teacher before him told him that this was true:

lim (x→∞) [ln u] = ln ( lim (x→∞) u), where u is a continuous function.

My teacher has never found a proof for this, although it works every time. Does anyone know how to prove this? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
jbunniii
Feb12-13, 06:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,172
I guess you are implicitly assuming that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}u(x)## exists, because otherwise the statement doesn't make any sense. So if we put ##L = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}u(x)## and ##x_n## is any sequence such that ##x_n \rightarrow \infty## as ##n \rightarrow \infty##, we have a corresponding sequence ##u_n = u(x_n)## such that ##u_n \rightarrow L## as ##n \rightarrow \infty##. We may now write
$$\ln(L) = \ln(\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}u(x)) = \ln(\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} u_n) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \ln(u_n) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \ln(u(x_n))$$
The third equality holds because ##\ln## is continuous at ##L##. Thus we have established that
$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \ln(u(x_n)) = \ln(L)$$
This is true for any sequence ##x_n \rightarrow \infty##, so we may conclude that
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \ln(u(x)) = \ln(L)$$.
MadViolinist
Feb12-13, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the answer!

However, I do not get the step where ln(limn→∞ un)=limn→∞ ( ln(un)). How did you change the order of the natural log and the limit?

jbunniii
Feb12-13, 07:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,172
How would I prove that ln (lim (u)) = lim (ln (u))

Quote Quote by MadViolinist View Post
Thanks for the answer!

However, I do not get the step where ln(limn→∞ un)=limn→∞ ( ln(un)). How did you change the order of the natural log and the limit?
If ##f## is any function that is continuous at ##L##, and ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} u_n = L##, then ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f(u_n) = f(\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} u_n) = f(L)##. You can prove this quite easily using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity.

Assuming that theorem, all you need is the fact that ##\ln## is continuous at ##L##, where ##L## is any real positive number. (By the way, positivity of ##L## is another assumption that needs to be added to the problem statement, otherwise the equation makes no sense.)

How to prove that ##\ln## is continuous depends on how you defined ##\ln##. One standard definition is
$$\ln(x) = \int_{1}^{x} \frac{1}{t} dt$$
If we use that definition, then
$$\begin{align}
|\ln(x+h) - \ln(x)| &= \left|\int_{1}^{x+h} \frac{1}{t} dt - \int_{1}^{x} \frac{1}{t}\right|\\
&= \left|\int_{x}^{x+h}\frac{1}{t} dt\right|\\
\end{align}$$
If ##h > 0## then we have the bound
$$\left|\int_{x}^{x+h}\frac{1}{t} dt\right| \leq \left|\int_{x}^{x+h}\frac{1}{x} dt\right| = \left| \frac{h}{x} \right|$$
which we can make as small as we like as ##h \rightarrow 0##. A similar argument holds for ##h < 0##.
MadViolinist
Feb12-13, 07:27 PM
Thanks again!

Register to reply