Sup. and Lim. Sup. are Measurable Functions

In summary: I don't see any other place to ask a question about a specific proof of a specific theorem)Yes, I have proved this already. The proof is as follows:Let ##\{f_n\}## be a sequence of measurable functions on a measurable set ##E## and let ##g(x) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x)##. We want to show that ##g## is measurable. Let ##c \in \Bbb{R}##. Since each ##f_n## is measurable, the sets ##\{x \mid f_n(x) \ge c\}## are measurable, and since ##g = \lim_{n \rightarrow \in
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

For a sequence ##\{f_n\}## of measurable functions with common domain ##E##, show that the following functions are measurable: ##\inf \{f_n\}##, ##\sup \{f_n\}##, ##\lim \inf \{f_n\}##, and ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It suffices to show that ##\sup \{f_n\}## and ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}## are measurable, since the negative of a measurable function is measurable and ##\inf \{f_n\} = - \sup \{-f_n\}## and ##\lim \inf \{f_n\} = - \lim \sup \{-f_n\}##. First we show that ##h(x) := \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## is measurable. Define the function ##g_n(x) = \max \{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \}## which is measurable for every ##n##. First note that ##\{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \} \subseteq \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## and therefore ##\max \{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \} \le \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## or ##h(x) -g_n(x) \ge 0## for every ##n \in \Bbb{N}##. Let ##x \in E## and ##\epsilon > 0## be arbitrary. Then there exists an ##N \in \Bbb{N}## such that ##h(x) < f_N(x) + \epsilon##. And if ##n \ge N##, then ##g_n(x) \ge f_N(x)## or ##g_n(x) + \epsilon \ge f_N(x) + \epsilon > h(x)## or ##|h(x) - g_n(x)| < \epsilon##. This proves that ##g_n## converges pointwise to ##h##, which means that ##h## is measurable.

To see that ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}## is a measurable function, recall that for each it is defined as ##\lim_{n \infty} \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \ge n \}## which is by definition the pointwise limit of the sequence ##(\sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \ge n \})_{n \in \Bbb{N}}## of measurable functions.Does this seem right? I solved the problem and then did a google search to find a solution. I found a couple, but proofs were slightly different from what I came up with, so I just wanted to have my solution verified.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

For a sequence ##\{f_n\}## of measurable functions with common domain ##E##, show that the following functions are measurable: ##\inf \{f_n\}##, ##\sup \{f_n\}##, ##\lim \inf \{f_n\}##, and ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}##

Homework Equations

It suffices to show that ##\sup \{f_n\}## and ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}## are measurable, since the negative of a measurable function is measurable and ##\inf \{f_n\} = - \sup \{-f_n\}## and ##\lim \inf \{f_n\} = - \lim \sup \{-f_n\}##. First we show that ##h(x) := \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## is measurable. Define the function ##g_n(x) = \max \{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \}## which is measurable for every ##n##. First note that ##\{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \} \subseteq \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## and therefore ##\max \{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \} \le \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## or ##h(x) -g_n(x) \ge 0## for every ##n \in \Bbb{N}##. Let ##x \in E## and ##\epsilon > 0## be arbitrary. Then there exists an ##N \in \Bbb{N}## such that ##h(x) < f_N(x) + \epsilon##. And if ##n \ge N##, then ##g_n(x) \ge f_N(x)## or ##g_n(x) + \epsilon \ge f_N(x) + \epsilon > h(x)## or ##|h(x) - g_n(x)| < \epsilon##. This proves that ##g_n## converges pointwise to ##h##, which means that ##h## is measurable.

To see that ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}## is a measurable function, recall that for each it is defined as ##\lim_{n \infty} \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \ge n \}## which is by definition the pointwise limit of the sequence ##(\sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \ge n \})_{n \in \Bbb{N}}## of measurable functions.

Does this seem right? I solved the problem and then did a google search to find a solution. I found a couple, but proofs were slightly different from what I came up with, so I just wanted to have my solution verified.

You have used the result that
$$f_1, f_2 \; \text{measurable} \Rightarrow \; \max \{ f_1, f_2 \} \; \text{is measurable} . $$
Do you have a proof of this, or is it one of the known results you are employing?

Ray Vickson said:
You have used the result that
$$f_1, f_2 \; \text{measurable} \Rightarrow \; \max \{ f_1, f_2 \} \; \text{is measurable} . $$
Do you have a proof of this, or is it one of the known results you are employing?

Yes, I have proved this already.

Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

To see that ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}## is a measurable function, recall that for each it is defined as ##\lim_{n \infty} \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \ge n \}## which is by definition the pointwise limit of the sequence ##(\sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \ge n \})_{n \in \Bbb{N}}## of measurable functions.Does this seem right? I solved the problem and then did a google search to find a solution. I found a couple, but proofs were slightly different from what I came up with, so I just wanted to have my solution verified.
You use for both cases, that the limit of measurable functions is measurable. Why is it? (#2 of the template is a bit empty!)

fresh_42 said:
You use for both cases, that the limit of measurable functions is measurable. Why is it? (#2 of the template is a bit empty!)

Well. I didn't include that because I figured that it is a standard result.

Bashyboy said:
Well. I didn't include that because I figured that it is a standard result.
In my book, it is proven by the result you want to prove. So order is important here!

fresh_42 said:
In my book, it is proven by the result you want to prove. So order is important here!

Ah! I see. What book are you referencing? By the way, given that that result has been proven, does my proof seem right?

Likes Bashyboy

1. What is the definition of sup and lim sup?

Sup and lim sup are measurable functions in mathematics that are used to find the upper bound and limit of a sequence of numbers or a function.

2. How are sup and lim sup different from each other?

The main difference between sup and lim sup is that sup is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in a sequence, while lim sup is the limit of the supremum of a sequence.

3. Can sup and lim sup be negative numbers?

Yes, sup and lim sup can be negative numbers. They can be any real number depending on the sequence or function being analyzed.

4. Are sup and lim sup always defined for a sequence or function?

No, sup and lim sup are only defined when the sequence or function is bounded. If the sequence or function is unbounded, then sup and lim sup are not defined.

5. How are sup and lim sup used in real-life applications?

Sup and lim sup are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to analyze and predict the behavior of sequences or functions. They are also used in statistics to determine the probability of certain events.