Bong Angles of Cyclic Hydrocarbons

In summary, we discussed the reactivity of aromatic compounds and reviewed Sn1 and Sn2 reactions. According to the book, the bond angle in cyclic compounds decreases as the bond length between two carbons or atoms decreases. This is due to the use of similar triangles and the effects of steric strain and repulsion of electrons. However, the connection between bond length and bond angle is still unclear and may be affected by the s content of the bonds and their acidity.
QuantumChemist
We're going over the reactivity of aromatic compounds so I was reviewing material over Sn1 and Sn2 reactions. In the book that we have, it says that the smaller the bong length between two carbons, or other atom, in a cyclic compound, the smaller the bond angle.

That's where I get confused. Using similar triangles, we can see that no matter how long the arms, the angle stays the same. So how is it that the smaller the bong length, the shorter the bond angle? Does the shorter length contribute to a higher steric strain or increased repulsion of electrons on the bonded atoms? Or is my geometry just really rusty?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't see what they mean either.

Not to mention the fact I have no idea how the bong length can influence the bond angle :devil:

There are some effects of bond angle on bond length and strength in small rings.
The bonding in 3 and 4 membered rings is due to spx hybrids with x being larger in smaller rings, while the bonding of the hydrogen atoms is due to spx with smaller x. The higher s content in the latter type of bonds makes them more acidic. But I think the bonds in the ring become potentially weaker (and longer) than those in an unstrained ring.

1. What are bong angles in cyclic hydrocarbons?

Bong angles refer to the angle between two adjacent carbon atoms in a cyclic hydrocarbon molecule. They are important in determining the stability and reactivity of the molecule.

2. How do bong angles affect the properties of cyclic hydrocarbons?

Bong angles play a crucial role in determining the strain and stability of the cyclic hydrocarbon molecule. A smaller bong angle usually results in a more strained molecule, making it more reactive and less stable.

3. What is the ideal bong angle in cyclic hydrocarbons?

The ideal bong angle in a cyclic hydrocarbon molecule is 109.5 degrees, which is the bond angle of a perfect tetrahedral geometry. This angle provides maximum stability and minimal strain in the molecule.

4. How do bong angles change in different types of cyclic hydrocarbons?

Bong angles can vary in different types of cyclic hydrocarbons due to the presence of different functional groups or substitutions. For example, aromatic compounds tend to have bong angles closer to 120 degrees, while cyclopropane rings have much smaller bong angles due to the additional strain.

5. Can bong angles be measured experimentally?

Yes, bong angles can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray crystallography or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to determine the exact bond angles in a molecule and provide valuable insights into its structure and reactivity.