by JackRohr
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Andre
Feb12-13, 02:13 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
This will test your ability to take tests.

very tough indeed
pongo38
Feb12-13, 04:05 PM
P: 696
There are at least two scales, with 100 as the mean. So any data without reference to the scale used is meaningless.
jim mcnamara
Feb12-13, 05:48 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,381
I must have done something backwards. I got a QI result. They told me to 'quit it'.
ModusPwnd
Feb12-13, 06:51 PM
P: 1,059
I took a "real" one from an educational psychologist. The test was part of a battery of tests looking for learning disabilities. It involved pencil and paper exercises, computer based exercises and manipulation of 3-D objects. I placed just above 3 std. dev. but was negative for learning disabilities. My job is delivering pizza. My ethnicity is mostly "white" (that is, recent ancestors were mostly in Europe).

edit - Also, I took it as an adult, not as a youth. I'm not sure if that matters.
AlephZero
Feb12-13, 07:03 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,957
I only have enough IQ for my own personal use, so I don't have any to share with the rest of you. Sorry about that!
AnTiFreeze3
Feb12-13, 11:18 PM
P: 246
Quote Quote by ModusPwnd View Post
... I placed just above 3 std. dev. but was negative for learning disabilities ...
Why would you say "but" ?

Slightly above three standard deviations would be 145+, yet you say "but I don't have any learning disabilities." Yo no comprende.
InvalidID
Feb13-13, 12:44 AM
P: 79
I find these types of threads as highly irritating i.e. ones where the OP is pointless and the replies are meaningless posts of satire.
Curious3141
Feb13-13, 12:48 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,944
Quote Quote by AnTiFreeze3 View Post

Slightly above three standard deviations would be 145+, yet you say "but I don't have any learning disabilities." Yo no comprende.
Maybe he means ##\mu - 3\sigma##?
JackRohr
Feb13-13, 01:24 AM
P: 6
Quote Quote by InvalidID View Post
I find these types of threads as highly irritating i.e. ones where the OP is pointless and the replies are meaningless posts of satire.
I agree. I need this for a school project and in all responses I have found 1 actual one which won't cut it for school.
NemoReally
Feb13-13, 01:55 AM
P: 194
Quote Quote by AnTiFreeze3 View Post

The respondent may simply be stating that they got such a relatively high score because they don't have any learning disabilities.

However, if someone does, then the test outcome will depend to some extent upon the nature of the disabilities. Head injuries resulting in, say, prospective memory and verbal memory dysfunction may leave reasoning ability and visual memory sufficiently intact to do well on IQ tests. Dyslexia will have an impact upon certain types of test but not so much on others.

Continuing the tone of the thread, in my case, the test was multiple choice and I had to rely on the psychic ability inherited from my Welsh ancestors to guess the answers. I mean, there's no way I'd ever have passed the Mensa entrance test if I had to rely on what's left of my native wit. I was also damn lucky Shakespeare let me borrow one of his monkeys for my astrophysics exams, couldn't have done it without the little chap.
JackRohr
Feb13-13, 01:58 AM
P: 6
I have ADHD and dyslexia yet I am still in the genius range. They have also shown that things such as add come with the territory of having a high iq. Though they do not always it has been a trend
NemoReally
Feb13-13, 02:00 AM
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
I only have enough IQ for my own personal use, so I don't have any to share with the rest of you. Sorry about that!
It's alright for you, you can get away with that "personal use" stuff, but if I got caught, I'd be doing heavy time, man, h e a v y time. There ain't no way they ain't goin' to be believin' I'm not dealin'!
Jimmy Snyder
Feb13-13, 03:30 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by JackRohr View Post
I need this for a school project and in all responses I have found 1 actual one ...
I must say I am shocked by the behavior of my fellow PFffts. Here we have, in JackRohr, a dedicated researcher applying all of his skill in gathering scientific data and all you can do it joke about it. The fact that I alone would take this task seriously should give one pause for thought. Frankly, I am disappointed in you all. JackRohr, I appologize for my association with this sorry group of would-be comedians. You may find solace in the famous quote by my countryman, Epimenides, which I suggest you google.
Jonathan Scott
Feb13-13, 04:48 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,156
I have ADHD and dyslexia yet I am still in the genius range. They have also shown that things such as add come with the territory of having a high iq. Though they do not always it has been a trend
There are certainly problems with thinking too fast. I'm fed up with getting criticised for my "negative attitude" for identifying major potential problems in some plan before most people have even begun to understand the positive aspects, even though in many cases I also find potential solutions which are better than the original plan.
phion
Feb13-13, 04:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 55
I too an online IQ test a few years ago that took approximately 5-10 minutes and scored 145.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb13-13, 06:25 AM
P: 2,179
Let me add, in defense of my fellow PFffts, that my position as IQ test scorer requires a level of integrity that rises above the ordinary. A person in my position could easily deflate the scores of their enemies or inflate those of their friends. On the positive side, I have taken the liberty of crunching the numbers (I know I shouldn't be doing JackRohr's homework, but I think you'll agree that the results are too important to hold back). The average PFfft scores IQ tests for a living and is Cretan. The average IQ among us is 185 with a standard deviation of 0. This conforms with the 5 sigma criterion. If JackRohr can get his research published in a peer reviewed journal, he is certain to be in contention for this year's Ig Nobel in physics.
BobG
Feb13-13, 06:28 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
I agree. I need this for a school project and in all responses I have found 1 actual one which won't cut it for school.
Your first problem is that very few people take a "real" IQ test. A person is more likely to take an IQ test to diagnose problems (i.e. - eliminate low IQ as the cause of learning problems, etc).

They would be much more likely to take some standardized test that can be generally correlated to IQ (SAT, ACT, ASVAB, etc). In other words, most people have a rough estimate of their IQ, with the accuracy of the estimate varying depending on the test/IQ (for example, the ASVAB test would be accurate up to around 120 or 125, but the only accurate statement you could make for higher scores is that their IQ is proabably above 120).

You would probably get better results by asking for results of tests they were likely to take and doing the correlations yourself.
NemoReally
Feb13-13, 06:55 AM
Quote Quote by Jonathan Scott View Post
There are certainly problems with thinking too fast. I'm fed up with getting criticised for my "negative attitude" for identifying major potential problems in some plan before most people have even begun to understand the positive aspects, even though in many cases I also find potential solutions which are better than the original plan.
Now you've identified the problem, the next step may be to work on ways of presenting your conclusions in a more "people friendly" fashion. One way, for example, might be (I don't know what you do already) to ask questions that lead to your viewpoint rather than state it. Not only can this soften the impact of a "negative" but it encourages others to think about the problem and be readier for alternative solutions (or even come up with their own). Of course, the way you phrase the questions is important, for example, contrast and compare "What half-witted, moronic imbecile thought up this can of worms? Duh! Can't they see that ...?" versus "OK, I can see the intent here, but I don't quite understand how it does X / what happens if Y occurs?".

Another one is, where feasible, to give the appearance of taking time to consider things before commenting. It turns out that people find it off-putting to struggle over a problem for days, finally summon up the courage to talk to someone and then have the solution presented to them instantly without even the pretence of thinking about it ... apparently, no matter how friendly your smile or demeanour, it can be "intimidating".

Once people get to know you, then you can sometimes "relax".

Surprisingly, a flip-side to having ready answers to tricky problems, is that people can treat you like a performing poodle or precocious child and only "drag you out for special occasions" whilst the "real people" get on with the interesting jobs. In addition, making things look too easy can diminish the perceived validity of your solutions ... anything that involves no effort can't be right, right?

Register to reply