Is this IQ test a reliable measure of intelligence?

In summary, a participant in a forum shared their experience taking an IQ test and their score of 134 on the European test, which translates to an IQ of 121 on the Stanford-binet test. They also discussed the validity of online IQ tests and the false assumption that intelligence is a prerequisite for success. Another participant shared their score of 159 on the Cattle test and 139 on the Stanford-Binet test and questioned the accuracy of the test. The conversation concluded with a forum moderator closing the thread and emphasizing that IQ tests only measure one's ability to recognize patterns.
Hierophant
Hi, I just took an IQ test,

http://sifter.org/iqtest/

It relates the European IQ test to that of the Stanford-binet test. I just did it, but I was rather depressed and self-loathing, so maybe I could of done better... lol. I also was not aware of the time I was spending, perhaps better management could of bolstered the score. I got 134 for the european test and this apparently translates to the stanford-binet as an IQ of 121... Maybe I should move to Europe, jk.

I would like to see what you scored on the test and also your major + GPA. And if you did actually get an IQ test (Be specific) in real life, it'd be wonderful for you to give us an idea of how accurate the results are of this test.

Hopefully this is somewhat accurate and not inflated for, that would be rather concerning as 121, seems like an decent IQ to pursue an engineering degree with, which I am currently preparing for.

So thank you smart people of physics forum.

Gosh, I really hope I am not dumb.

Physics news on Phys.org
IQ is dumb. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=710233

IQ is almost never representative of actual intelligence. IQ shows how good you are at taking IQ tests.

As an aside, this is the second thread you've posted implying you are not sure if you are "smart enough" to be an engineer. That is a false assumption, in that you imply there is some minimum intelligence level in order to be successful. As some advice, I will leave you with a quote which I hope gets the message across to you.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.” - Calvin Coolidge

Likes 1 person
The validity of an IQ test found on the internet is given by the following formula:

[tex]V = 0[/tex]

Likes 1 person
to be a good engineer you need to be good at math and problem solving. also being good at working long periods without taking breaks and working weekends, and also working with a knot in your stomach knowing that your division can at anytime be laid off and you have to go jobhunting again for the 7th time and you arent even 30 yet.
if you have these skills you make an awesome engineer.

I just took the test and got 159Cattle / 139Stanford-Binet.Also, I realized the mistakes in my wrong answers. Which means the test is bull ****! The test is comparatively very easy. There are several IQ tests which are much tougher like the Denmark IQ test (iqtest.dk ?).

fgoodwill said:
I just took the test and got 159Cattle / 139Stanford-Binet.Also, I realized the mistakes in my wrong answers. Which means the test is bull ****! The test is comparatively very easy. There are several IQ tests which are much tougher like the Denmark IQ test (iqtest.dk ?).

I didn't know cows took IQ tests. hmmm...

Hierophant said:
Hopefully this is somewhat accurate and not inflated for, that would be rather concerning as 121, seems like an decent IQ to pursue an engineering degree with, which I am currently preparing for.

I've been working as a successful engineer since 2007 and I haven't even taken that test.

From what I've seen of IQ tests, they just measure your ability to recognize patterns. So if you're good at recognizing patterns, that means you're good at every other mental task in life?

Another IQ test thread. Closed.

Last.

1. How is the accuracy of an IQ test determined?

The accuracy of an IQ test is determined by comparing an individual's score on the test to the scores of a large and diverse group of people who have also taken the test. This allows for the calculation of a standardized score, which is then compared to the average score for a specific age group to determine a person's level of intelligence.

2. Can an IQ test accurately measure intelligence?

IQ tests are designed to measure cognitive abilities such as problem-solving, reasoning, and memory. While they can provide a general idea of a person's intelligence, they do not measure all aspects of intelligence and are not always an accurate representation of a person's overall intelligence. Other factors such as motivation, cultural background, and education can also influence test scores.

3. How reliable are IQ tests?

IQ tests are generally considered to be reliable, meaning that they produce consistent results over multiple administrations. However, like any other test, there can be some variability in scores due to factors such as test-taking skills, test anxiety, and environmental distractions. Additionally, the reliability of an IQ test can depend on the quality of the test itself.

4. Are there different types of IQ tests?

Yes, there are different types of IQ tests, including the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS), the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales, and the Cattell Culture Fair Intelligence Test. Each test may have a slightly different focus and format, but they all aim to measure intelligence and have been found to be generally reliable and valid.

5. Can an IQ test be used to predict success in life?

An IQ test can provide a general indication of an individual's cognitive abilities, but it cannot predict a person's success in life. Success is influenced by a variety of factors, including motivation, personality traits, and opportunities. While a high IQ may be helpful in certain situations, it does not guarantee success in all areas of life.