by Bachelier
Tags: uncountable
Share this thread:
Bachelier
Feb13-13, 04:44 AM
P: 376
##S = \bigcup _{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i ##

methinks yes because:

##S = \bigcup _{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i \equiv \left\{{0,1}\right\}^\mathbb{N}##
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
micromass
Feb13-13, 05:07 AM
Mentor
P: 18,036
Quote Quote by Bachelier View Post
##\bigcup _{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i \equiv \left\{{0,1}\right\}^\mathbb{N}##
This equality is false. Furthermore, the set on the right is uncountable. The set on the left is countable.
Bachelier
Feb13-13, 06:12 AM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
This equality is false. Furthermore, the set on the right is uncountable. The set on the left is countable.
So how do we look at ##\left\{{0,1}\right\}^∞##?

micromass
Feb13-13, 07:33 AM
Mentor
P: 18,036
Is this set uncountable

So how do we look at ##\left\{{0,1}\right\}^∞##?
What do you mean with [itex]\infty[/itex]? The notation you are using now is not standard at all.
jbunniii
Feb13-13, 12:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,171
##S = \bigcup _{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i \equiv \left\{{0,1}\right\}^\mathbb{N}##
As micromass said, this is false. The reason for this is that every element of the left hand side is an n-tuple for some n, i.e., a FINITE tuple such as (0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0). On the other hand, every element of the right hand side is an infinite sequence, such as (0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, ...). Therefore the left hand side and right hand side actually contain no elements in common.
jfgobin
Feb13-13, 02:37 PM
P: 90
I think that [itex]S = \bigcup _{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i[/itex] is countable all right. The mapping with [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] is quite obvious.
Bachelier
Feb13-13, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys, yes it is kind of clear that ## \bigcup_{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i ## is countable...I was just looking too much into it.

I believe my confusion was coming from misunderstanding the set: ##\left\{{0,1}\right\}^\mathbb{N}## which has the cardinality of the power set of ##\mathbb{N}##.

Register to reply