by Photon_2013
Tags: accelerating, galaxies
Share this thread:
Drakkith
Feb3-13, 10:48 PM
Mentor
P: 11,823
Quote Quote by Photon_2013 View Post
Drakkith, everybody who works on cutting edge science uses their most advanced instruments and their best models. However they still run into wrong conclusions or reach dead ends. Happens all the time. I hope you know enough about history of science to understand that.
And sometimes they reach the right conclusions. I hope you know enough about the history of science to understand that.

So keep an open mind.
Right back at ya.

Confidence is good for research, over confidence is not good (specially when you are working in one of the most difficult research areas). As I see it cosmology is at its beginning of beginning.
And the way I see it is that you have absolutely no basis for judging anything in cosmology at all. What you've done is come into the forums and thrown your own opinion around and then tried to tell us to keep an open mind about that ignorant opinion. We have explained that everything is based on observations and that we don't know everything about dark energy, and yet you try to throw those exact things right back at us. No. No this is unacceptable. You are free to believe whatever you want, but please do not come here and tell us you hope we find "better" explanations in the future simply because you do not like the current ones. The only thing this does is show how close minded you are. I am reporting you and if the mods feel you have broken one of PF's rules then you will be notified. If not, you won't. Have a nice day.
Photon_2013
Feb3-13, 11:03 PM
P: 10
Drakkith, if you found my post offensive, I take it back. Did not want to offend anyone, just wrote what I was thinking. I had said two times in previous posts I did not want to engage in dark energy debate. You started it. Go back and read my postings. Did I break any forum rules... we will let mods decide. Good day to you too!
mkarger
Feb13-13, 04:44 PM
P: 64
Drakkith, please point to some specific source or literature that shows this. I did not see any evidence that DE is required to explain milky way. I thought concept of DE is only required if you try to explain all of known universe.

Thanks for comments.
Dark matter is essentially necessary to explain the orbital characteristics within the Milky Way. This is demonstrated by running calculations on the known orbits of astronomical bodies around another body.
mkarger
Feb13-13, 04:46 PM
P: 64
It seems to me as we develop more and more sophisticated telescopes, we increase our ability to see farther in space which means we can see more in past. Eventually we will get so close to events of big bang, everything will seem bizzare and unknown. I don't think we understand the forces and energies that were present at that time, but eventually things settled down as we see now in milky way and close by galaxies. Even if some dark mysterious energy was present at that time, it may not be present now (consumed in the creation process, acceleration of galaxies etc). We are introducing concepts like dark energy just like aether was introduced at some point to account for light travelling in space similar to sound waves travelling in some medium.
Dark matter is simply an interim identifier for some form of matter that is giving mass to certain parts of space where there is no direct observational evidence other than the gravitational effects.
cepheid
Feb13-13, 05:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
Quote Quote by mkarger View Post
Dark matter is essentially necessary to explain the orbital characteristics within the Milky Way. This is demonstrated by running calculations on the known orbits of astronomical bodies around another body.
Quote Quote by mkarger View Post
Dark matter is simply an interim identifier for some form of matter that is giving mass to certain parts of space where there is no direct observational evidence other than the gravitational effects.
This thread (including the posts that you were specifically responding to) is about dark energy, not dark matter. So, you are a little off the mark here. Also, this thread hasn't seen any additional posts from the OP, whose question was thoroughly answered, so I'm locking it.

Register to reply