So today I found out that some of my classmates haven't bought a

• Thread starter InvalidID
  • Start date
In summary: Homework is usually assigned from practice problems in the textbooks. What do you do then? Some classes won't go through everything that is in the textbook, like language classes. Like in my Chinese class, you're expected to learn the characters. You can't just listen to the characters and see them once during a lecture and memorize them. And not all of the characters that will be on the test will be covered in class, so your notes won't suffice. There are numerous free online textbooks and websites which cover a great many things in a lot of depth. My university has access to the MyiLibrary service and a lot of our recommended texts can be viewed in full with unlimited access as long
InvalidID
single textbook.

Mind=blown. How is this even possible? I rely so heavily on my textbook for learning. How is it even possible to NOT read a textbook and still manage to pass? Is there some sort of secret to learning without a textbook that I'm missing here? I literally rely on the textbook for 100% of my learning. In fact, lectures are almost pointless for me. I just go there to waste time, listen to what the prof has to say and get a nice break from studying.

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure they didn't procure it by "other means"? I don't know how either. I live and die by my textbooks when it comes to learning.

You can pass without the need to have a textbook. One may write notes during lectures and find it sufficient to achieve the desired goal, which is 'passing' the course. Of course, that isn't the case if you want to excel in the subject, having more than one book is pretty much expected too.

InvalidID said:
single textbook.

Mind=blown. How is this even possible? I rely so heavily on my textbook for learning. How is it even possible to NOT read a textbook and still manage to pass? Is there some sort of secret to learning without a textbook that I'm missing here? I literally rely on the textbook for 100% of my learning. In fact, lectures are almost pointless for me. I just go there to waste time, listen to what the prof has to say and get a nice break from studying.

They probably pick up another person's textbook "by accident" from time to time. I have seen a few classmates do this and one actually took mine. When he returned it, I knew that he had been using it because it looked so abused lol. Throughout the class I noticed he felt a strange entitlement to it.

HeLiXe said:
They probably pick up another person's textbook "by accident" from time to time. I have seen a few classmates do this and one actually took mine. When he returned it, I knew that he had been using it because it looked so abused lol. Throughout the class I noticed he felt a strange entitlement to it.

That's *censor*ed up.

I am one of these people. I take in everything that was said and will remember it. Reading is useless for me. People just have different ways of leaning

I don't buy textbooks unless I intend to keep the book as a reference, which is very rare. If I absolutely need to know something that isn't in the course notes (and I for some reason can't just derive it myself), then I'll do the obvious thing and just go to a library.

JackRohr said:
People just have different ways of leaning
Langauge learner proves the routes.

Like, can read and write but not hear or speak, or vice versa.

You don't have to buy a book to read it, you can borrow it from a library or a friend!
And yes, it's possible to pass an exam without reading a textbook. I know plenty of people who do that.

Not buying textbooks isn't equivalent to not reading one.

There are numerous free online textbooks and websites which cover a great many things in a lot of depth. My university has access to the MyiLibrary service and a lot of our recommended texts can be viewed in full with unlimited access as long as we're students.

When it comes to "reading around" the subject, I use the internet, i.e. blogs and twitter for that since books don't normally cover the latest science.

My daughter rents her textbooks when she can.

JackRohr said:
I am one of these people. I take in everything that was said and will remember it. Reading is useless for me. People just have different ways of leaning

A lot of classes will have homework assigned from practice problems in the textbooks. What do you do then?

Some classes won't go through everything that is in the textbook, like language classes. Like in my Chinese class, you're expected to learn the characters. You can't just listen to the characters and see them once during a lecture and memorize them. And not all of the characters that will be on the test will be covered in class, so your notes won't suffice.

I've also had a couple of classes that had open book quizzes or tests.

There's a lot of reasons why not having the textbook is just going to hurt you in a lot of classes.
I don't buy textbooks unless I intend to keep the book as a reference, which is very rare. If I absolutely need to know something that isn't in the course notes (and I for some reason can't just derive it myself), then I'll do the obvious thing and just go to a library.
I tried that when I forgot my Linear Algebra book at home. The library didn't have any linear algebra books.

People use pirated electronic copies a lot.

One time in chemistry our professor said at the start of the class that this textbook was so good and everyone *must* have it. Lots of people bought it...and not a single person ever used it that I know of, he never assigned homework from it (that was online) and never made any reference to it in class. Eventually I looked at who wrote it, and his name just happened to be listed as one of the editors. Coincidence? I think not.

leroyjenkens said:
The library didn't have any linear algebra books.

Is that the library of a university that offers any math course ?

I am usually very careful when I buy textbooks. Most of the textbooks that were required in my courses were not that useful so now I only buy books that I know I want to have and will be useful later.

InvalidID said:
That's *censor*ed up.

Tell me about it.

leroyjenkens said:
I tried that when I forgot my Linear Algebra book at home. The library didn't have any linear algebra books.

That's surprising.

Does your university perhaps have a separate library for mathematics textbooks/journals?

My math department had its own library.

1. What is the significance of some classmates not buying something?

The significance of some classmates not buying something can vary, depending on the context. It could be an indication of differences in financial resources or personal preferences.

2. How did you find out that some classmates haven't bought something?

I found out through observations and conversations with my classmates. I noticed that some of them were not using or talking about the item in question, and when I asked them directly, they confirmed that they had not purchased it.

3. Is there a specific reason why some classmates haven't bought something?

There could be various reasons why some classmates haven't bought something. It could be due to financial constraints, lack of interest or need for the item, or personal beliefs and values.

4. How does this information impact the group or community as a whole?

The impact of some classmates not buying something can be significant, depending on the item in question and the group or community dynamics. It could lead to feelings of exclusion or resentment, or it could spark discussions and debates about consumerism and individual choices.

5. Does this revelation change your perception of your classmates?

As a scientist, I do not let personal biases or assumptions influence my perception of others. Therefore, this revelation does not change my perception of my classmates. It simply provides new information that allows me to better understand and potentially empathize with their perspectives.