Register to reply

Acadamia vs. Industry - supervisors role

by Apteronotus
Tags: acadamia, industry, role, supervisors
Share this thread:
Apteronotus
Feb14-13, 10:20 AM
P: 203
Is there an incentive for supervisors to guide their Ph.D. students to follow an academic career rather than move to industry?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Locrian
Feb14-13, 04:20 PM
P: 1,745
Is there an incentive for supervisors to guide their Ph.D. students to follow an academic career rather than move to industry?

Yes, but I think it is mostly non-financial - there may be financial benefit if their area of study is bigger and more prestigious, but every researcher in the same field is also (sometimes indirect) competition for limited dollars. I don't think either of those have much impact, but I'd be interested if others disagree.

You didnít specify a discipline, but assuming youíre discussing physics, many professors see industry as failure and academia as success, and some part of their ego is tied up in getting students into academic positions. Obviously this varies by individual, by specialty and by institution.

Register to reply