APS: Success in Industry Careers Webinar Series

In summary, the American Physical Society has just launched a webinar series addressing careers for physicists in industry. The first webinar is scheduled for September 15th, 2020.
CrysPhys
Education Advisor
The American Physical Society (APS) has just launched a webinar series addressing careers for physicists in industry (broadly includes national labs). [ETA: Correction: National labs are covered under a separate series also listed on the following link.] Details of the series can be found here: https://www.aps.org/careers/guidance/webinars/index.cfm. First webinar (Why You Should Consider an Industry Career) is scheduled for 9/15/2020.

Note: If you are a student (undergrad or grad), APS membership is free for the first year. Subsequent student membership fees are greatly reduced from regular rates: $25/yr for undergrad, $39/yr for grad. To join APS, see: https://www.aps.org/membership/join.cfm.

Last edited:
Likes Locrian
Physics news on Phys.org
Gosh one of those topics look really good more like an engineering one "letting the perfect be the enemy of the good". I said this to one recruiter at a career fair; they seemed very impressed after this (of course there were a few gentle technical questions) and they set me up with an in-person interview later that week, and I got an offer after a good interview. Thanks for sharing!

Joshy said:
Gosh one of those topics look really good more like an engineering one "letting the perfect be the enemy of the good". I said this to one recruiter at a career fair; they seemed very impressed after this (of course there were a few gentle technical questions) and they set me up with an in-person interview later that week, and I got an offer after a good interview. Thanks for sharing!
At one time I worked a stint as a quality improvement engineer for a major telecom lab. At one time, we considered quality as defined by performance and reliability. We later considered quality as defined by performance and reliability under the constraints of cost and schedule. There is a major cultural shift from doing a PhD dissertation to industrial R&D.

Likes Joshy
There's no free lunch.

CrysPhys said:
We later considered quality as defined by performance and reliability under the constraints of cost and schedule.
A colleague used to ask our customers, "would you rather get to the airport on time in a Volkswagen, or get there an hour late in a Cadillac?"

Likes Joshy
My favorite version is you can get it fast, you can get it cheap, you can get it well made. Pick whichever two you want.

1. What is the purpose of the "APS: Success in Industry Careers Webinar Series"?

The purpose of the APS (American Physical Society) "Success in Industry Careers Webinar Series" is to provide valuable insights and guidance to scientists interested in pursuing careers in industry. The webinars cover various topics such as resume building, networking, and career advancement strategies.

2. Who is eligible to attend the "APS: Success in Industry Careers Webinar Series"?

The webinar series is open to all scientists, whether they are early career professionals, graduate students, or experienced researchers. The webinars are designed to be beneficial for individuals at all stages of their career.

3. Are the webinars in the "APS: Success in Industry Careers Webinar Series" free to attend?

Yes, the webinars are free for all attendees. However, registration is required to access the webinars. The webinars are also recorded and made available for viewing on the APS website after the live event.

4. Who are the speakers for the "APS: Success in Industry Careers Webinar Series"?

The speakers for the webinar series are experienced professionals from various industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and engineering. They provide valuable insights and advice based on their own experiences in the industry.

5. How can I access the recordings of past webinars in the "APS: Success in Industry Careers Webinar Series"?

Recordings of past webinars can be accessed on the APS website under the "Success in Industry Careers" section. They are available for viewing at any time and provide a helpful resource for those unable to attend the live webinars.