Register to reply

Fourier Series of Secant

by mathskier
Tags: fourier, secant, series
Share this thread:
mathskier
Feb15-13, 08:19 PM
P: 30
So I know that sec(x) has period 2Pi, and it's even so I don't need to figure out coefficients for bn.

Let's take the limits of the integral to go from -3/2 Pi to 1/2 Pi. How do I integrate sec(x) sin(nx) dx?! Am I on the right path?

PS: I know that this doesn't satisfy the Dirichlet Theorem, but the textbook I'm using still says to compute it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
haruspex
Feb16-13, 12:10 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,657
Seems to me that integral is zero for n even and indeterminate for n odd.
rbj
Feb16-13, 12:23 AM
P: 2,251
well since [itex]\sec(x) = 1/\cos(x) [/itex] then i think you can express the cosine functions, both on the top and on the bottom as exponentials with imaginary argument. i think you can get to an integral that looks like

[tex] c_n = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} \frac{2}{e^{i (n+1) x}+e^{i (n-1) x}} \ dx [/tex]

i think you can find an antiderivative of that. might still come out as indeterminate. but that's the integral you have to solve.

vela
Feb16-13, 12:36 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,690
Fourier Series of Secant

Quote Quote by haruspex View Post
Seems to me that integral is zero for n even and indeterminate for n odd.
I evaluated the first few odd n integrals using Mathematica, and it looks like ##a_{2n+1} = (-1)^n 2\pi##.
haruspex
Feb16-13, 02:58 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by vela View Post
I evaluated the first few odd n integrals using Mathematica, and it looks like ##a_{2n+1} = (-1)^n 2\pi##.
The reason I thought it indeterminate is that integrating over a 2π range effectively cancels a +∞ with a -∞. E.g. with n=1, it's the integral of tan, which is log cos. An interval that spans π/2 will appear to give a sensible answer, but in reality it's undefined.
vela
Feb16-13, 03:27 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,690
mathskier indicated the wrong integrand. It should be sec x cos(nx), which is the integrand I used.
haruspex
Feb16-13, 04:59 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by vela View Post
mathskier indicated the wrong integrand. It should be sec x cos(nx), which is the integrand I used.
That certainly makes a difference. It's not hard to show that the integral of sec x cos(nx) over a 2pi range is the negative of that of sec x cos((n-2)x), for n > 2.

Register to reply