Fourier Series for |x|: Convergence & Answers

In summary: So the second summation is just a negative version of the first one, with the factor ##-4## in front. So you can add them up to get the desired result.In summary, the trigonometric Fourier series for ##f(x)=|x|## on the interval ##x∈[−\pi, \pi]## is given by ##F(x)=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{4}{\pi}\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{(2n-1)^2}cos((2n-1)x)##. This series converges to ##f(x)## everywhere in the domain.
BearY

Homework Statement

Find trigonometric Fourier series for ##f(x)=|x|##, ##x∈[−\pi, \pi]##, state points where ##F(x)## fail to converge to ##f(x)##.

Homework Equations

##F(x) = \frac{a_0}{2}+\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty a_ncos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})+b_nsin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})##
##a_n=\frac{1}{L}\int_{-L}^{L}f(x)cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})dx##
##b_n=\frac{1}{L}\int_{-L}^{L}f(x)sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})dx##

The Attempt at a Solution

##f(x)cos(nx)## is an even function##a_n=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}xcos(nx)dx##
##f(x)sin(nx)## is an odd function, so ##b_n = 0##
$$a_0 =\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}xdx = \pi$$
$$a_n=\frac{2}{\pi}(\frac{cos(n\pi)-1}{n^2})$$
$$F(x) = \frac{\pi}{2}+\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{2}{\pi}(\frac{cos(n\pi)-1}{n^2})cos(nx)$$

My question is, the answer is
$$F(x) = \frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{4}{\pi}\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{(2n-1)^2}cos((2n-1)x)$$
I can see that the summation in my ##F(x)## has even terms equal to 0 and hence the ##(2n-1)##. But I am not sure how to get there. Or maybe my answer is wrong.

For completion of answer##F(x)## converge to ##f(x)## everywhere in the domain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BearY! :)

Split the summation in even n and odd n.
Note that ##\cos(2k\pi)=1##, which cancels, while ##\cos((2k-1)\pi)=-1##.

Likes GabrielN00 and BearY

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier, who first introduced the concept in the early 19th century.

2. What is the Fourier series for |x|?

The Fourier series for |x| is given by f(x) = (4/π) * (sinx + (1/3)sin3x + (1/5)sin5x + ...), where x is in the range [-π,π]. This means that any function that is symmetric about the y-axis and has a period of 2π can be represented by this series.

3. How do you determine the convergence of a Fourier series for |x|?

The convergence of a Fourier series for |x| can be determined using the Dirichlet conditions. These conditions state that the function must be piecewise continuous and have a finite number of maxima and minima in any given interval, and the integral of the function over one period must be finite.

4. What is the significance of the Fourier series for |x|?

The Fourier series for |x| has significant applications in signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving partial differential equations. It is also used in various areas of physics and engineering for analyzing and synthesizing periodic phenomena.

5. Can the Fourier series for |x| be extended to functions that are not periodic?

No, the Fourier series for |x| is only applicable to functions that are periodic. For non-periodic functions, the Fourier transform or the Laplace transform can be used to represent them as a combination of sinusoidal functions.