Lens Object Screen Problem: Finding the Focal Length and Image Distance

In summary, the problem involves an object placed 2.4m from a screen and a lens of focal length f placed between them to form a real image on the screen. When the lens is moved 1.2m towards the screen, another real image is formed. Using the equations 1/s +1/s' = 1/f and s + s' = 2.4m, and the additional equation 1/(s + 1.2m) + 1/(s' - 1.2m) = 1/f, we can solve for the unknowns s, s', and f to find the solution.
Saxby

Homework Statement

An object is placed 2.4m from a screen, and a lens of focal length f is placed between the object and the screen so that a real image of the object is formed on the screen.

When the lens is moved 1.2m toward the screen, another real image of the object is formed on the screen

Homework Equations

1/s +1/s' = 1/f = 2/R

s = Distance between object and lense
s' = Distance between image and lense
f = Focal length
R = Radius of lense

The Attempt at a Solution

This question has me well and truly stuck so i apoligize if there isn't much of a solution but i'll do my best.

I understand if a real image is being projected then the image must be inverted when the lens is at both distances from the screen. I know the lens must be at a distance of less than 1.2m away from the object before it was moved.

I would usually try and draw a ray diagram but the nature of the lens (diverging or converging) is not stated.

Absolutely any help would be very much apprietiated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first image, you have 1/s +1/s' = 1/f, and s + s' = D = 2.4 m.

For the second image, you have 1/(s + d) + 1/(s' - d) = 1/f, where d = 1.2 m.

These are three equations for three unknowns s, s' and f.

Thank you, i understand how to get the answer now :)

1. What is the "Lens object screen problem"?

The "Lens object screen problem" refers to a common issue encountered in microscopy, where the lens of the microscope is unable to produce a clear image on the screen due to various factors such as dust, dirt, or misalignment.

2. What causes the "Lens object screen problem"?

The "Lens object screen problem" can be caused by several factors, including dirt or debris on the lens or screen, incorrect positioning or alignment of the lens, or technical issues with the microscope itself.

3. How can I fix the "Lens object screen problem"?

The solution to the "Lens object screen problem" depends on the specific cause. If there is dirt or debris on the lens or screen, it can be cleaned using a soft cloth or lens cleaning solution. If the lens is misaligned, it can be adjusted using the knobs on the microscope. If the issue persists, it may require professional repair or replacement.

4. Can the "Lens object screen problem" be prevented?

Yes, the "Lens object screen problem" can be prevented by regularly cleaning the lens and screen, avoiding touching the lens with fingers, and handling the microscope with care to prevent misalignment.

5. What are some signs of the "Lens object screen problem"?

Some signs of the "Lens object screen problem" include a blurry or distorted image on the screen, difficulty focusing on the sample, or the presence of dark spots or smudges in the image. These issues can also be caused by other factors, so it is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause before attempting to fix it.