Calculate a radius of a circle on a screen

Lotto
Homework Statement
On a flat surface of a glass hemisphere with a radius of ##r = 4.0 \,\mathrm {cm}## with a refractive index ##n= 1.50##, a circular bundle of parallel beams with a diameter of ##2a = 6.0 \,\mathrm{cm}## falls parallel to the optical axis. What will be the radius ##R## of the illuminated circle on a screen, which is positioned perpendicular to the optical axis at a distance of ##L = 8.0\,\mathrm{ cm}## from the plane area of the hemisphere? A picture below.
Relevant Equations
##f=\frac{n_1 n_2 R_1 R_2}{(n_2-n_1)[(n_2-n_1)d+n_2(R_2-R_1)]}##
The picture is here. The radius should be ##R=2.94\,\mathrm {cm}##.
image.png

In the original solution, it is solved by using a critical angle ϵm. The b is the maximum distance at which a beam can refract. I understand this solution and an image of it is here:
solution.png

But I wanted to calculate it by knowing that the hemosphere is a thick lens. I calculated its focal lenght to be ##f=8.0\,\mathrm {cm}## and that its one principal axis touches the top of the lens. So the focus F′ should be ##4\,\mathrm{ cm}## behind the screen.

The light beams are parallel to the optical axis, so they should refract into the focus F′, but according to the picture, that is not true. I tried to calculate the radius ##R## by using that focal lenght and my value is wrong.

I understand that not all bems refract after passing through the lens, but why cannot I use the focal lenght and solve the problem by using thick lens knowledge? Or where are my thoughts wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The lens maker's formula is an approximation also known as the thin lens approximation that applies to thin lenses. If you carefully trace rays through the hemisphere, you will see that not all rays converge to the same focal point.

Likes Orodruin
kuruman said:
The lens maker's formula is an approximation also known as the thin lens approximation that applies to thin lenses. If you carefully trace rays through the hemisphere, you will see that not all rays converge to the same focal point.
Yes, I understand that the formula for the focal lenght is only a paraxial approximation, but it is still weird that the focus error is so big. Because I suppose that accroding to the second picture, the focus is at point ##E##.

And the formula above is for a thick lens of a thickness ##d##.

Last edited:
Lotto said:
And the formula above is for a thick lens of a thickness ##d##.
Here we have a hemisphere of thickness ##R##. Furthermore, the formula assumes that rays are refracted past point ##b## in the second diagram which means internal reflection (which you know is there) is disregarded.

Do yourself a favor and a relatively simple calculation.
Let ##y=## the distance from the optical axis to where the ray enters the flat face of the hemisphere.
Let ##x=## the distance from the center of the flat face to where the exiting refracted ray crosses the optical axis on the other side.

Calculate ##x##. If it is independent of ##y##, then a focal length exists. If it is not, then a focal length does not exist and the thick lens equation that you used does not apply to the hemisphere.

1. How do you calculate the radius of a circle on a screen?

To calculate the radius of a circle on a screen, you need to know the diameter of the circle. The radius is half of the diameter, so you can simply divide the diameter by 2 to find the radius.

2. Can you calculate the radius of a circle without knowing the diameter?

Yes, you can calculate the radius of a circle without knowing the diameter. If you know the circumference of the circle, you can use the formula: radius = circumference / (2 * π).

3. Is the radius of a circle always the same on a screen?

No, the radius of a circle on a screen can vary depending on the size of the circle. A larger circle will have a larger radius, while a smaller circle will have a smaller radius.

4. How does the resolution of a screen affect the calculation of the radius of a circle?

The resolution of a screen can affect the calculation of the radius of a circle by determining the accuracy of the measurements. A higher resolution screen will provide more precise measurements, leading to a more accurate calculation of the radius.

5. Can you calculate the radius of a circle on a screen using a software program?

Yes, you can calculate the radius of a circle on a screen using a software program. Many programs have built-in tools for measuring and calculating the radius of a circle, making it easy to obtain accurate results.