What units should be used for the cauchy dispersion formula?

In summary: If you convert your wavelength λ to μm before using the Cauchy equation, you'll get unitless quantities (like B / λ2 = 0.013 / 0.52) which is what you want.
spectral
Hi everybody,

I would like to use the 'cauchy dispersion formula', ie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_equation):[/PLAIN]

eta = A + B / w²

Where :
eta is the resulting IOR
A is the base IOR
B is the dispersion coefficient expressed in squarre meter (m²)
w is wavelength expressed in micro-meters

I try to apply this formula this way :
B = 0.013 in micro-meters,
A = 1.72

So first,
1) I convert the B parameter from micro-meter to m² : B = B / 1000000
2) I convert my wavelenght from nm to micro-meter : wv = 500 / 1000

But the result I got seems incorrect, I got no dispersion !
Maybe there is a problem with my units ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
spectral said:
1) I convert the B parameter from micro-meter to m² : B = B * 1000000

I think you mean to convert B's units from m2 to (μm)2. For that, you have to multiply by 10000002, not 1000000.

Thanks for your answer,

But based on the formula here :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_equation[/PLAIN]

the C parameters (I use B instead) is expressed in micro-meters !

So, if C = 0.013 in micro-meters I have to convert it to meters to use the Cauchy formula...
... then I "divide" by 1000000² ?

Or there is something wrong in what I do or my units ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
By example, I should have :

eta = 1.72 + (0.013 / 1000000²) / 0.500²

OK, I see now. I didn't look at the Wikipedia page to see where the numbers came from before.

If your B (their C) is already in units of (μm)2, and you've converted your wavelength λ to μm, then the quantity B / λ2 = 0.013 / 0.52 has units of (μm)2/(μm)2, i.e. it's unit-less, as it should be because the index of refraction is unit-less. Why do you want to convert B to m2?

Last edited:
I see...

It is just that I have see somewhere that the C parameter has to be in m²... but it seems false !

Thanks for your help

spectral said:
I have see somewhere that the C parameter has to be in m²...

I suspect that they do their calculations using λ in meters.

What is the Cauchy dispersion formula?

The Cauchy dispersion formula is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the refractive index and wavelength of light in a material. It is also known as the Cauchy equation or Cauchy's equation of refraction.

Who developed the Cauchy dispersion formula?

The Cauchy dispersion formula was developed by French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the early 19th century. He derived the equation from empirical data and it has since become a fundamental equation in optics and material science.

What is the significance of the Cauchy dispersion formula?

The Cauchy dispersion formula is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of light as it passes through different materials. It is used in a wide range of applications, from designing lenses and prisms to understanding the properties of materials such as glass and water.

How does the Cauchy dispersion formula relate to the speed of light?

The Cauchy dispersion formula does not directly relate to the speed of light. However, it does describe how the refractive index of a material changes with wavelength, which indirectly affects the speed of light as it passes through the material.

Is the Cauchy dispersion formula accurate for all materials?

No, the Cauchy dispersion formula is not accurate for all materials. It is a simplified model that works well for most transparent materials, but it does not account for factors such as absorption and scattering of light. For more complex materials, more advanced equations may be needed to accurately describe the relationship between refractive index and wavelength.