Why is Cherenkov radiation blue? And what about refractive index?

In summary, According to the wiki article, blue light is emitted when high energy per photon and short wavelength are present. Negative dispersion is only seen in areas with strong absorption, which means that if a material is transparent to blue light but opaque to other colors, it may be able to produce negative dispersion.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
The exact color of Cherenkov radiation is a function of the transparent material used.
For any wavelength, the relative intensity is dependent on refractive index (and more).
Can it be anything other than bright blue? Any neat experiments?
I got this question from my son last night.

If you Google "Why is Cherenkov radiation blue", you get this:
Due to the high energies at play during Cherenkov radiation, the photons travel as waves that have high frequencies and short wavelengths, which are typical of violet and blue colours. The higher the frequencies and the shorter the wavelengths are, the bluer or more violet the light appears to the human eye.

Somewhat more substantial is the Wiki article on the Frank-Tamm formula.
That formula ties the Cherenkov radiation wavelengths to the transmission characteristics at any specified wavelength - and specifically to the refractive index. It also states:
The relative intensity of one frequency is approximately proportional to the frequency. That is, higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths) are more intense in Cherenkov radiation. This is why visible Cherenkov radiation is observed to be brilliant blue.

In general, a transparent material will respond to shorter wavelengths with a higher index of refraction - and thus more Cherenkov. So blue energy is pushed by both the higher energy per photon and the higher refractive index.

My first thought was that perhaps either of the two components of an achromatic lens (flint glass and crown glass) would provide an example of a material where the index of refraction decreases at with shorter wavelengths - but I suspect I am wrong. From what I read, they may create achromatic results even though both would "push blue".

Are there any materials that would "push red" and are there any that would push it enough to make the Cherenkov radiation look something other than blue?

Likes Drakkith and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that actual negative dispersion is confined to bands of strong absorption. Which means that if a particle travels in a medium which is opaque to blue light, it is possible that blue Cherenkov photons are not just emitted and promptly absorbed but never emitted in the first place.
How wide do absorption bands need to be in order to produce negative dispersion? Can you have a material which is transparent to red, opaque to green and again fairly transparent to blue - but with a smaller refractory index than in red?

It's not blue. It's mostly ultraviolet. Does that help?

In principle, the energy distribution is propoprtional to the frerquency. In practice, this cuts off once the wavelength gets below the atomic scale and "speed of light in the material" ceases to have meaning.

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
Last edited:

1. Why is Cherenkov radiation blue?

Cherenkov radiation appears blue because it is emitted in the visible spectrum. This is due to the fact that the speed of light in a vacuum is faster than the speed of light in a medium, causing the light to be shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum.

2. What is the relationship between Cherenkov radiation and refractive index?

The refractive index of a material determines the speed of light in that material. Cherenkov radiation occurs when a charged particle travels through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium, resulting in a refractive index lower than 1. This creates a shock wave of light, known as Cherenkov radiation.

3. How does the angle of emission of Cherenkov radiation relate to the refractive index?

The angle of emission of Cherenkov radiation is directly related to the refractive index of the medium. As the refractive index increases, the angle of emission decreases. This is because a higher refractive index means a slower speed of light in the medium, resulting in a smaller angle of light emission.

4. Can Cherenkov radiation occur in any medium?

Cherenkov radiation can occur in any medium as long as the speed of light in that medium is slower than the speed of light in a vacuum. However, the intensity of the radiation is dependent on the refractive index of the medium. The higher the refractive index, the more intense the radiation will be.

5. How is Cherenkov radiation used in scientific research?

Cherenkov radiation is used in various fields of scientific research, including particle physics, nuclear medicine, and astrophysics. It is used to detect high-energy particles and to study the properties of matter. In nuclear medicine, it is used in imaging techniques to detect and treat cancer. In astrophysics, it is used to study high-energy phenomena in space, such as gamma-ray bursts.