Engineering Mechanics - Statics

In summary, mobility is the number of independent parameters needed to describe the position of all links in a mechanism. Negative mobility is not possible and may indicate incorrect definitions of degrees of freedom. A diagram of the mechanism can help clarify any issues. Additionally, treating distributed loads in Mechanics can vary depending on the specific situation and may require further clarification.
pesisa
Can one obtain a negative value for mobility i when working out the mobility of a structure; the structure being constrained by either pins, sliders or fixed points? What happens with a negative mobility?

Engineering news on Phys.org
you cannot have negative mobility.

Mobility is defined as "the number of independent parameters required to specify the position of all links of the mechanism." -Cleghorn 2005

These parameters are typically angles of links and distances of the base joints. If you are getting negative values for mobility it may be because the degree of freedoms of the links are incorrectly define.

If you can supply a diagram of the mechanism I would be glad to help.

That helped me out a bit, but we already moved on onto other subjects now and I hope I passed the exam already. If not, I shall have to do a resit :( .. I can't understand why I found statics to be difficult and Mechanics to be much more simple, since the latter builds on the former.
I do have another question but I'm not sure I'm in the right place.
How do I treat distributed loads in Mechanics ?

1. What is Engineering Mechanics - Statics?

Engineering Mechanics - Statics is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects. It is a fundamental subject in engineering and is essential for understanding the principles of structural design and analysis.

2. What are some real-world applications of Engineering Mechanics - Statics?

Engineering Mechanics - Statics has numerous real-world applications, such as designing buildings, bridges, and other structures, determining the stability of vehicles, analyzing the strength of materials, and predicting the behavior of machines and structures under different loading conditions.

3. What are the key principles of Engineering Mechanics - Statics?

The key principles of Engineering Mechanics - Statics include the concept of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a stationary object must be equal to zero, and the three laws of motion established by Sir Isaac Newton, which govern the behavior of objects in static equilibrium.

4. How is Engineering Mechanics - Statics different from Engineering Mechanics - Dynamics?

Engineering Mechanics - Statics deals with the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects, while Engineering Mechanics - Dynamics focuses on the study of forces and their effects on moving objects. In other words, Engineering Mechanics - Statics deals with the equilibrium of objects, while Engineering Mechanics - Dynamics deals with the motion of objects.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Engineering Mechanics - Statics?

To improve your understanding of Engineering Mechanics - Statics, it is crucial to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in vector algebra and calculus. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and applying the principles of Engineering Mechanics - Statics to real-world scenarios can also help improve your understanding of the subject.