Why does ENGR Mechanics: Statics cover *hinged* trusses?

In summary, the canonical pedagogical treatment of analysis of trusses in engineering mechanics often involves hinged trusses, even though real-life structures tend to have fixed joints. This is because beginners need to start with statically determinant structures before moving on to understanding deformation. Historically, hinged trusses were the first to be mathematically analyzed, but this does not necessarily mean that pedagogy should follow the same path. While an exact solution for fixed joints and supports would be tedious, assuming pinned joints and supports leads to minimal error. This has been confirmed through testing.
swampwiz
Something that has always been off for me is the canonical pedagogical treatment of analysis of trusses in the course typically called "Engineering Mechanics: Statics". Certainly, every cantilever bridge I see has completely attached joints, although lately I have seen some airy, open structures like airports have what looks like it could be a ball joint on major beams (I presume this is intentionally done to allow for wind loading).

The only explanation I can come up with is that students need to start somewhere, and hinged trusses offer the ability to do fancy analysis of statically determinant structures - while completely fixed trusses require an understanding of deformation that is typically covered in a subsequent course in "Solid Mechanics", and the proper analysis of fixed trusses gets it proper treatment in more advanced courses that cover the stiffness method. An understanding of statically determinant structures must precede learning about deformation, so it's basically a pedagogical chicken & egg problem.

Engineering news on Phys.org
According to some video lectures I viewed (The Great Courses: Understanding the World's Greatest Structures), historically, hinged trusses were the first that could be mathematically analyzed, so structures were actually built with hinged trusses just for that reason. Of course that doesn't imply that pedagogy should mimic the historic development of a subject.

To get an exact solution of a truss with fixed joints and supports would be a tedious task using hand calcs, and the last thing you want to do , while learning about these things , is to shove it into a computer for the results. But even if joints and supports are fixed, there is very little error when assuming pinnned joints and supports; member forces are primarily still axial. This has been confirmed by testing.

Likes PaulK2

1. Why are hinged trusses important in statics?

Hinged trusses are important in statics because they allow for a stable and efficient distribution of forces. By using hinges, the truss is able to rotate and adapt to different loading conditions, which helps to minimize stress and displacement.

2. How do hinged trusses differ from other types of trusses?

Hinged trusses differ from other types of trusses in that they have joints or hinges at certain points, allowing for rotation and movement. This makes them more versatile and able to handle varying loads and conditions.

3. What are the advantages of using hinged trusses in engineering mechanics?

The use of hinged trusses in engineering mechanics allows for a more accurate and realistic analysis of structures. Hinges provide more flexibility and allow for the consideration of different loading scenarios, making them a valuable tool in structural design.

4. Can hinged trusses be used in all types of structures?

Yes, hinged trusses can be used in a variety of structures, including bridges, buildings, and even industrial machinery. Their ability to adapt to different loading conditions makes them suitable for a wide range of applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using hinged trusses in statics?

While hinged trusses offer many advantages, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for structures with very large spans or high loads, as they may require additional support or reinforcement to maintain stability. Additionally, the use of hinges can increase the complexity of structural analysis and design.