Best way to solve Schrodinger's wave equation numerically.

In summary: There are many people more than willing to help. Thanks.In summary, the person is looking for help solving the Schrodinger wave equation numerically, and is having difficulty. They are having trouble with the finite difference method, and are looking for help with animating potentials.
Slide rule
I have been trying to research the best way to solve the Schrodinger wave equation numerically so that I can plot and animate it in Maple. I'd also like to animate as it is affected by a potential. I have been trying for weeks to do this and I don't feel any closer than when I started. I have looked at finite difference method but I get so far and don't know what to do next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The sort of thing I'm looking for is like in this presentation on youtube, especially at 11s leading onto something like the animation at 13s.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&gl=GB&v=Xj9PdeY64rA&fulldescription=1

Thanks you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more detail? What is the Hamiltonian? In how many dimensions?

And there is no link to the YouTube video.

Hi, sorry for not posting the link, I was very tired when making this post, definitely an oversight on my part. I will be able to post the link in just over an hour.

With regards to dimensions in would only be in 1 dimension along x. Regarding the hamiltonian I am trying to solve the equation as
i x hbar x diff(psi, t) = -(hbar^2)/2m x diff(psi, x$2) + V(x) x psi
where psi = psi(x, t).

Thank you for replying.

Since your potential is time independent, the fastest way to solve your problem is to first find the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian
[tex]
H \phi_i = E_i \phi_i
[/tex]
To do this, discretize space and write the Hamiltonian as a matrix. As you said, you can use a finite difference approximation for the momentum operator.

Once you have the [itex]\phi_i[/itex], find the initial coefficients of your wave function in this basis,
[tex]
\psi(x,t=0) = \sum_i c_i \phi_i(x)
[/tex]
by calculating
[tex]
c_i = \int \phi_i^*(x) \psi(x,t=0) dx
[/tex]

Then, the wave function at any time time is simply given by
[tex]
\psi(x,t) = \sum_i c_i \phi_i(x) \exp(-i E_i t / \hbar)
[/tex]
By advancing [itex]t[/itex] and refreshing the plot, you will get your animation. I have no idea how to do this in Maple :frown:

I have been trying to research the best way to solve the Schrodinger wave equation numerically so that I can plot and animate it in Maple. I'd also like to animate as it is affected by a potential. I have been trying for weeks to do this and I don't feel any closer than when I started. I have looked at finite difference method but I get so far and don't know what to do next.
Slide rule, Why not ask this question over on the Diff Eq forum.

1. What is Schrodinger's wave equation?

Schrodinger's wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a given time.

2. Why is the Schrodinger's wave equation difficult to solve?

The Schrodinger's wave equation is a highly complex mathematical equation that involves partial differential equations and complex numbers. It is also a non-linear equation, which makes it difficult to solve analytically. Therefore, numerical methods are often used to approximate the solution.

3. What are the best numerical methods for solving Schrodinger's wave equation?

There are several numerical methods that can be used to solve Schrodinger's wave equation, such as the finite difference method, finite element method, and spectral methods. The best method to use depends on the specific problem being solved and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What is the benefit of solving Schrodinger's wave equation numerically?

Solving Schrodinger's wave equation numerically allows for the prediction of the behavior of quantum particles in complex systems that cannot be solved analytically. It also allows for the study of various parameters and their effects on the system, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior of quantum particles.

5. Are there any limitations to solving Schrodinger's wave equation numerically?

One limitation of solving Schrodinger's wave equation numerically is the computational resources required. As the system becomes more complex, the computational time and resources needed to solve the equation increases. Additionally, numerical methods can introduce errors, so the accuracy of the solution may be limited.