Why is the cross product perpendicular?

by JizzaDaMan
Tags: cross, perpendicular, product
JizzaDaMan
Feb19-13, 02:43 PM
P: 47
Why is the cross product of two vectors perpendicular to the plane the two vectors lie on?

I am aware that you can prove this by showing that:

[itex](\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{a} = (\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{b} = 0[/itex]

Surely it was not defined as this and worked backwards though. I see little advantage in making this definition, and simply guessing it seems a bit random, so what brings it about?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
micromass
Feb19-13, 02:50 PM
Mentor
P: 16,613
What is your definition of the cross product?
Ferramentarius
Feb20-13, 01:25 PM
P: 22
By the matrix definition of the cross product we have
[itex] \vec{a}\times \vec{b} \cdot \vec{c}
= \begin{vmatrix} \vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ a_i & a_j & a_k \\ b_i & b_j & b_k \end{vmatrix} \cdot \vec{c}
= (\vec{i} \begin{vmatrix} a_j & a_k \\ b_j & b_k \end{vmatrix} -\vec{j} \begin{vmatrix} a_i & a_k \\ b_i & b_k \end{vmatrix} + \vec{k} \begin{vmatrix} a_i & a_j \\ b_i & b_j \end{vmatrix} ) \cdot \vec{c} \\
= (c_i \begin{vmatrix} a_j & a_k \\ b_j & b_k \end{vmatrix} -c_j \begin{vmatrix} a_i & a_k \\ b_i & b_k \end{vmatrix} + c_k \begin{vmatrix} a_i & a_j \\ b_i & b_j \end{vmatrix} )
= \begin{vmatrix} c_i & c_j & c_k \\ a_i & a_j & a_k \\ b_i & b_j & b_k \end{vmatrix} [/itex].

When [itex] \vec{c} = \vec{a} [/itex] or [itex] \vec{c} = \vec{b} [/itex] the determinant has two equal rows and becomes zero. This means the dot product is zero and the vectors are perpendicular.

lurflurf
Feb21-13, 01:51 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,151

Why is the cross product perpendicular?

The cross product is the (up to multiplication by a constant) only product possible that takes two vectors to a third. It is also extremely useful to produce a vector perpendicular to two given vectors. All the time you have two vectors and need one perpendicular to them. Bam! Cross product done.

Register to reply