What is the formula for the norm of a vector cross product?

Lambda96
Homework Statement
Use the identity ##\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ilm} = \delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{kj}## to proof ##||\vec{a} \times \vec{b}||=||\vec{a}|| \cdot ||\vec{b}|| \sin{\alpha}##
Relevant Equations
##\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ilm} = \delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{kj}##
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with task c

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-16 um 11.04.05.png

In the task, the norm has already been defined, i.e. ##||\vec{c}||=\sqrt{\langle \vec{c}, \vec{c} \rangle }## I therefore first wanted to calculate the scalar product of the cross product, i.e. ##\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle## first

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = \epsilon_{ijk}a^{i}b^{j} \vec{e}_k \cdot \epsilon_{ijk}a^{i}b^{j} \vec{e}_k$$
$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = \epsilon_{ijk}a^{i}b^{j} \cdot \epsilon_{ijk}a^{i}b^{j}$$
$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijk} ||a^{i}||^2 ||b^{j}||^2 $$

If I look at my calculation now, I've definitely made a mistake, but I don't know how else to arrive at the desired result.
I know I didn't use the identity ##\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ilm} = \delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{kj}##, but if I take the scalar product with itself, the epsilon would be ##\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijk}## and not ##\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ilm}##, or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about starting with what is given?
\begin{align*}
\langle \mathrm{a}\times \mathrm{b}\ ,\ \mathrm{a}\times \mathrm{b} \rangle&=\epsilon_{ijk}\,a^i\,b^j\, \epsilon_{lmn}\,a^l\,b^m \,\langle \mathrm{e}_k\ ,\ \mathrm{e}_n \rangle\\
&=\epsilon_{ijk}\,a^i\,b^j\, \epsilon_{lmk}\,a^l\,b^m= \epsilon_{kij}\,\epsilon_{klm}\,a^i\,b^j\,a^l\,b^m\\
&=(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm} - \delta_{jk} \delta_{km})\,a^i\,b^j\,a^l\,b^m \\
&=a^i\,b^j\,a^i\,b^j \,-\, a^i\,b^k\,a^l\,b^k
&=\ldots
\end{align*}
... if I made no mistakes. I think your mistake was in the formula under "relevant equations". It should have been $$\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ilm}=\delta_{jl} \delta_{km}- \delta_{jm} \delta_{kl} $$ like in ##\delta_{22} \delta_{33}- \delta_{23} \delta_{32}.##

Likes Lambda96
fresh_42 said:
How about starting with what is given?
\begin{align*}
\langle \mathrm{a}\times \mathrm{b}\ ,\ \mathrm{a}\times \mathrm{b} \rangle&=\epsilon_{ijk}\,a^i\,b^j\, \epsilon_{lmn}\,a^l\,b^m \,\langle \mathrm{e}_k\ ,\ \mathrm{e}_n \rangle\\
&=\epsilon_{ijk}\,a^i\,b^j\, \epsilon_{lmk}\,a^l\,b^m= \epsilon_{kij}\,\epsilon_{klm}\,a^i\,b^j\,a^l\,b^m\\
&=(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm} - \delta_{jk} \delta_{km})\,a^i\,b^j\,a^l\,b^m \\
&=a^i\,b^j\,a^i\,b^j \,-\, a^i\,b^k\,a^l\,b^k
&=\ldots
\end{align*}
... if I made no mistakes.
Typo, but the final expression violates the third commandment.
fresh_42 said:
I think your mistake was in the formula under "relevant equations".
That is a typo, yes, but there are worse mistakes as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lambda96
Thank you Orodruin and fresh_42 for your help 👍👍

Thanks also Orodruin for the link, it helped me a lot 👍

I have now proceeded as follows:

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = \bigl( \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \bigr)_i \cdot \bigl( \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \bigr)_i$$

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = \epsilon_{ijk} a^{j}b^{k} \epsilon_{ilm} a^{l} b^{m}$$

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ilm} a^{j}b^{k} a^{l} b^{m}$$$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = \bigl( \delta_{jl} \delta_{km} -\delta_{jm} \delta_{kl} \bigr) a^{j}b^{k} a^{l} b^{m}$$

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = \delta_{jl} \delta_{km} a^{j}b^{k} a^{l} b^{m} -\delta_{jm} \delta_{kl} a^{j}b^{k} a^{l} b^{m} $$

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = a^{l}b^{m} a^{l} b^{m} - a^{m}b^{l} a^{l} b^{m}$$

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle =\bigl( \vec{a} \cdot \vec{a} \bigr) \bigl( \vec{b} \cdot \vec{b} \bigr) - \bigl( \vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} \bigr) \cdot \bigl( \vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} \bigr) $$$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = ||\vec{a}||^2 \cdot ||\vec{b}||^2 - ||\vec{a}||^2 \cdot ||\vec{b}||^2 \cos^2{\alpha}$$

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = ||\vec{a}||^2 \cdot ||\vec{b}||^2 \bigl( 1 - \cos^2{\alpha} \bigr) $$

$$\langle \vec{a} \times \vec{b} , \vec{a} \times \vec{b} \rangle = ||\vec{a}||^2 \cdot ||\vec{b}||^2 \sin^2{\alpha}$$

$$|| \vec{a} \times \vec{b}|| = ||\vec{a}|| \cdot ||\vec{b}|| \sin{\alpha}$$

Likes Orodruin
It's a bit simpler to use the index-free calculus in this case and use the additional rule
$$\vec{u} \cdot (\vec{v} \times \vec{w})=(\vec{u} \times \vec{v}) \cdot \vec{w}.$$
Setting ##\vec{u}=\vec{a} \times \vec{b}## and ##\vec{v}=\vec{a}## and ##\vec{w}=\vec{b}## this gives
$$(\vec{a} \times \vec{b}) \cdot (\vec{a} \times \vec{b}) =[ (\vec{a} \times \vec{b})\times \vec{a}] \cdot \vec{b}.$$
Now you use the formula for the triple vector product (which is equivalent to the given formula for the Levi-Civita symbols),
$$(\vec{a} \times \vec{b}) \cdot (\vec{a} \times \vec{b}) = [\vec{b} (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{a}) - \vec{a} (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}] \cdot \vec{b} = \|vec{a} \|^2 \|\vec{b}|^2 [1-\cos^2 \angle (\vec{a},\vec{b})]=\|\vec{a}|^2 \|\vec{b} \|^2 \sin^2 \angle (\vec{a},\vec{b}).$$
Since by definite ##\angle(\vec{a},\vec{b}) \in [0,\pi]## the sine is ##\geq 0## and thus
$$\|\vec{a} \times \vec{b} \| = \|\vec{a} \| \|\vec{b} \| \sin \angle(\vec{a},\vec{b}).$$

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for the norm of a vector cross product?

The formula for the norm of a vector cross product is given by ||A x B|| = ||A|| ||B|| sin(θ), where A and B are the vectors being crossed, ||A|| and ||B|| are their magnitudes, and θ is the angle between them.

2. How is the norm of a vector cross product calculated?

The norm of a vector cross product is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. This formula gives the length of the vector resulting from the cross product operation.

3. Why is the norm of a vector cross product important?

The norm of a vector cross product is important because it represents the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors being crossed. It also gives us information about the direction of the resulting vector.

4. Can the norm of a vector cross product be negative?

No, the norm of a vector cross product is always positive. This is because it represents a physical quantity (area) and cannot be negative.

5. How is the norm of a vector cross product related to the dot product?

The norm of a vector cross product is related to the dot product through the geometric interpretation of the two operations. While the dot product gives us information about the projection of one vector onto another, the cross product gives us information about the area and direction of the resulting vector.