Register to reply

Dimensional Probability

by SdogV
Tags: dimension, probability, space-time
Share this thread:
SdogV
Feb19-13, 04:41 PM
P: 22
Anyone care to critique this talk abstract for the CSAAPT Meeting, 3/16/2013?

DIMENSIONAL PROBABILITIES
by
Ted Erikson
R/E Unltd, Chicago

What identifies a position or location but has no "dimension" and zero "probability" of measurement? Certainly this implies a point. But what are totally agreed upon meanings of the quoted words? Summing up an extensive web search, dimension is a hyperbolic synonym with many meanings while probability can be either objective (result of experimental outcomes) or subjective (e.g. Bayesian).

Dimension and probability appeared significant in an FQXi physics essay* contest that I entered last summer to define panpsychism. Three non-collinear points can define a 2-D equilateral triangle, i.e. area. With one point as an origin for place probabilities of the other two and extrapolating a probability versus dimension plot, a third dimension, i.e. volume, emerges at 100% probability!

Four such points are required to define the space occupied by matter, i.e. protons, electrons, and neutrons. Again, referred to one point as an origin in a regular tetrahedron, extrapolations imply 4-D, i.e. space-time and a minus1-D. Pyramid extrapolates to~7 dimensions and a minus 1/2 dimension.

Are space-time dimensions and probability really understood?
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
mitchell porter
Feb19-13, 06:06 PM
P: 757
Quote Quote by SdogV View Post
Anyone care to critique this talk abstract for the CSAAPT Meeting, 3/16/2013?
The horror... the horror...
SdogV
Feb22-13, 06:38 PM
So, what is a definitive definition of "dimension" and "probability" to use in Physics?

mitchell porter
Feb22-13, 06:47 PM
P: 757
Dimensional Probability

Please just look up those words in Wikipedia.
SdogV
Feb22-13, 07:04 PM
Quote Quote by mitchell porter View Post
Please just look up those words in Wikipedia.
See first entry for what was found there and elsewhere!
SdogV
Feb24-13, 02:59 PM
Revised: Errors revealed in re-reading first draft post above. Sorry, too impulsive.

DIMENSION AND PROBABILITY
by
Ted Erikson
R/E Unltd, Chicago

What identifies a position or location but has no "dimension" and zero "probability" of measurement? Certainly this implies a point. But what are totally agreed upon meanings of the quoted words? Summing up an intensive web search, dimension is a hyperbolic synonym with many meanings while probability can be either objective (result of experimental outcomes) or subjective (e.g. Bayesian).

Dimension and probability appears as significant in an FQXi physics essay* contest that I entered last summer to define panpsychism. In a 2-D equilateral triangle, with one point as an origin for other two, a probability versus dimension plot shows extrapolated evidence of 0-D and 3-D as expected. For vertices of a 3-D regular tetrahedron as 4 points, treated in the same fashion as 16 trees, implies evidence that extrapolate to minus 1-D and ~4-D. For a 4-D pyramid, (minus ~1/2)-D and ~7-D appears.

Four such points are required to define the space occupied by matter, (i.e. protons, electrons, and neutrons). For spherical spaces, I conclude an infinite-D for a 100% probability and well below 50% for anything less considered.

Are space-time dimensions and probability really understood?

Register to reply