Is Higgs boson exactly energy ?

by big_bounce
Tags: boson, energy, higgs
Share this thread:
big_bounce
Feb19-13, 04:35 PM
P: 83
Hello all .
We know Higgs boson or Higgs particle is a theoretical elementary particle and in the Standard Model, the Higgs particle is a boson with no spin, electric charge, or color charge and it just has mass .
So what's the problem when we say they are exactly energy or a form of energy ?

And we know Higgs boson can decay to two photons and photons have momentum so is that mean Higss boson has momentum ? ( refer to Conservation of momentum )
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
dextercioby
Feb19-13, 05:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,894
A fundamental particle in specially relativistic QFT is the reunion of its attributes, one of which being the 4-momentum covector with the normal components: rest mass + spatial linear momentum. The Higgs makes no exception, once its possible interactions with the rest of the fundamental particles (graphically illustrated by Feynman diagrams) are calculated.
The_Duck
Feb19-13, 06:18 PM
P: 842
Quote Quote by big_bounce View Post
the Higgs particle is a boson with no spin, electric charge, or color charge and it just has mass .
So what's the problem when we say they are exactly energy or a form of energy ?
This is a bit like saying, "A zeppelin is a type of vehicle with no wheels, no trunk, and no mirrors, so can we say that a zeppelin is exactly gas mileage?"

That is, it doesn't make much sense. Energy is a property of individual particles, just as gas mileage is a property of individual vehicles. It makes about as much sense to say that a particle "is energy" as it makes to say that a vehicle "is gas mileage."

Quote Quote by big_bounce View Post
And we know Higgs boson can decay to two photons and photons have momentum so is that mean Higss boson has momentum ?
Any particle has a momentum. The momentum of a specific particle is related to its energy and its rest mass by the special relativistic formula ##p = \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{E^2 - (mc^2)^2}##.

big_bounce
Apr13-13, 03:53 AM
Is Higgs boson exactly energy ?

Quote Quote by The_Duck View Post
Any particle has a momentum. The momentum of a specific particle is related to its energy and its rest mass by the special relativistic formula ##p = \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{E^2 - (mc^2)^2}##.
Anyone can answer .

E stand on what ?
How can calculate this energy ?
Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ?
Vanadium 50
Apr13-13, 07:13 AM
Mentor
P: 16,117
"E stand on what" is not English. If you are using a machine translator, you might want to try a different one.

"How can calculate this energy ?" is not English either, and I would have said that I could figure out what you meant, except that you have the equation right there.

"Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ? " Please stick to the topic.
JohnnyDragon
Apr14-13, 11:52 PM
P: 1
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
"E stand on what" is not English. If you are using a machine translator, you might want to try a different one.

"How can calculate this energy ?" is not English either, and I would have said that I could figure out what you meant, except that you have the equation right there.

"Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ? " Please stick to the topic.
It's obvious by his previous posts that this one has typos. Also, the equation is right there assuming that you simply substitute E with Z. However, I don't think that this is what he had in mind and I believe you know this.
copernicus1
Apr18-13, 08:38 AM
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post

I'm sure the OP appreciates the English lesson, but I assume he was here out of interest in physics. Maybe YOU could stick to the topic.
Vanadium 50
Apr18-13, 05:04 PM
Mentor
P: 16,117
If you understand what "E stand on what" means, perhaps you could answer him.
Doofy
May1-13, 06:55 PM
P: 60
I've never liked all this "mass = energy" talk. It comes from E= mc^2, but how come we never talk about "frequency = energy" in the relation E = hf for a wave? If something's got mass it has some stored energy associated with it, but it's not the same thing. Energy is just a number that dictates an object's capacity to behave a certain way, it isn't "stuff", it's just a number that has to stay the same before and after you've done all your calculations.

Register to reply