Is Higgs boson exactly energy ?

by big_bounce
Tags: boson, energy, higgs
big_bounce
Feb19-13, 04:35 PM
P: 83
Hello all .
We know Higgs boson or Higgs particle is a theoretical elementary particle and in the Standard Model, the Higgs particle is a boson with no spin, electric charge, or color charge and it just has mass .
So what's the problem when we say they are exactly energy or a form of energy ?

And we know Higgs boson can decay to two photons and photons have momentum so is that mean Higss boson has momentum ? ( refer to Conservation of momentum )
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
dextercioby
Feb19-13, 05:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
A fundamental particle in specially relativistic QFT is the reunion of its attributes, one of which being the 4-momentum covector with the normal components: rest mass + spatial linear momentum. The Higgs makes no exception, once its possible interactions with the rest of the fundamental particles (graphically illustrated by Feynman diagrams) are calculated.
The_Duck
Feb19-13, 06:18 PM
P: 788
Quote Quote by big_bounce View Post
the Higgs particle is a boson with no spin, electric charge, or color charge and it just has mass .
So what's the problem when we say they are exactly energy or a form of energy ?
This is a bit like saying, "A zeppelin is a type of vehicle with no wheels, no trunk, and no mirrors, so can we say that a zeppelin is exactly gas mileage?"

That is, it doesn't make much sense. Energy is a property of individual particles, just as gas mileage is a property of individual vehicles. It makes about as much sense to say that a particle "is energy" as it makes to say that a vehicle "is gas mileage."

Quote Quote by big_bounce View Post
And we know Higgs boson can decay to two photons and photons have momentum so is that mean Higss boson has momentum ?
Any particle has a momentum. The momentum of a specific particle is related to its energy and its rest mass by the special relativistic formula ##p = \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{E^2 - (mc^2)^2}##.

big_bounce
Apr13-13, 03:53 AM
P: 83

Is Higgs boson exactly energy ?

Quote Quote by The_Duck View Post
Any particle has a momentum. The momentum of a specific particle is related to its energy and its rest mass by the special relativistic formula ##p = \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{E^2 - (mc^2)^2}##.
Anyone can answer .

E stand on what ?
How can calculate this energy ?
Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ?
Vanadium 50
Apr13-13, 07:13 AM
Mentor
P: 15,576
"E stand on what" is not English. If you are using a machine translator, you might want to try a different one.

"How can calculate this energy ?" is not English either, and I would have said that I could figure out what you meant, except that you have the equation right there.

"Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ? " Please stick to the topic.
JohnnyDragon
Apr14-13, 11:52 PM
P: 1
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
"E stand on what" is not English. If you are using a machine translator, you might want to try a different one.

"How can calculate this energy ?" is not English either, and I would have said that I could figure out what you meant, except that you have the equation right there.

"Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ? " Please stick to the topic.
It's obvious by his previous posts that this one has typos. Also, the equation is right there assuming that you simply substitute E with Z. However, I don't think that this is what he had in mind and I believe you know this.
copernicus1
Apr18-13, 08:38 AM
P: 82
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post

I'm sure the OP appreciates the English lesson, but I assume he was here out of interest in physics. Maybe YOU could stick to the topic.
Vanadium 50
Apr18-13, 05:04 PM
Mentor
P: 15,576
If you understand what "E stand on what" means, perhaps you could answer him.
Doofy
May1-13, 06:55 PM
P: 60
I've never liked all this "mass = energy" talk. It comes from E= mc^2, but how come we never talk about "frequency = energy" in the relation E = hf for a wave? If something's got mass it has some stored energy associated with it, but it's not the same thing. Energy is just a number that dictates an object's capacity to behave a certain way, it isn't "stuff", it's just a number that has to stay the same before and after you've done all your calculations.

Register to reply