Register to reply

SHM (transverse waves)

by MarcL
Tags: transverse, waves
Share this thread:
MarcL
Feb19-13, 03:22 PM
P: 87
So, I have to self-teach myself part of my class. However, there's one part of my book I can't understad at all.

First, I would like to understand, why does a transverse motion has 3 variable, y,x, and t . In my book they give the explanation y=h(x,t) and when we find the formula of the wave we get y=Asin(kx +/- wt).

I'm wondering, if y is the displacement of one element of a string, then what does x represent? I'm all confused :/
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
bossman27
Feb19-13, 03:44 PM
P: 204
Yes, y represents displacement, x specifies at what point along the x-axis. Just think about a picture of the wave... obviously displacement is not the same at every x position, and even if you stay at one x position, the displacement varies in time, hence the need for both variables.
MarcL
Feb19-13, 03:46 PM
P: 87
so x represent the displacement of the wave itself?

bossman27
Feb19-13, 07:52 PM
P: 204
SHM (transverse waves)

No, it specifies the position in the direction that the wave is traveling. If you just have a function y(x), what does x represent? What does y represent? Nothing changes for y(x,t) except that y now changes as time passes, meaning if you say at the same x position, the displacement (y) changes (periodically, in this case). In the terms you put it, x is the position of a particular "element" of the string.

Register to reply