Standing wave transverse motion and amplitude

In summary: The first equation is y(x,t) = -ω2A sin(kx). The second equation is y(x,t) = -ω2A cos(kx). The second equation is just the first equation with k replaced by kx. So the answer is that the amplitude is 8600ms-2 = -ω2A.
Declan Purdy

Homework Statement

A guitar string is vibrating in its fundamental mode, with nodes at each end. The length of the segment of the string that is free to vibrate is 0.381m. The maximum transverse acceleration of a point at the middle of the segment is 8600 m/s and the max. transverse velocity is 3.4m/s.

What is the amplitude of the standing wave?

Homework Equations

y(x,t)=Asin(kx)sin(ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the wavelength of the fundamental frequency as 2L = 0.762

I then calculated k by 2π/λ = 8.246

I found the first partial derivative as
∂y(x,t)/∂t = ωAsin(kx)cos(ωt) = 3.4ms-1

Then i found the second partial derivative of y(x,t) as
2y(x,t)/∂t2 = -ω2Asin(kx)sin(ωt)Which is the same as -ω2y(x,t),
I know that y(x,t) will be the amplitide at the max acceleration, so 8600ms-2 = -ω2A
I'm not sure where to go from here as I don't know how to calculate a value for ω with the given information

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the expression for the maximum velocity?

∂y/∂t = ωAsin(kx)cos(ωt) = 3.4ms-1

Last edited:
The relevant equation you wrote is a traveling wave. The guitar string fixed at both ends exhibits standing waves.

Chandra Prayaga said:
The relevant equation you wrote is a traveling wave. The guitar string fixed at both ends exhibits standing waves.
Oh yes, thank you.
It is edited now but I am still at the same problem of solving for omega.

You are only interested in the middle of the string where sin(kx) = 1, so you can get rid of that.

They give you the max velocity and the max acceleration. The maximums occur when the trig functions = 1, so you can get rid of those. Substitute in the given values and you will have two simple equations in two unknowns. Solve algebraically.

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that forms when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in certain points along the wave appearing to be standing still, while other points continue to oscillate.

2. What is transverse motion?

Transverse motion refers to the movement of particles or objects in a direction perpendicular to the direction of propagation of a wave. In standing wave transverse motion, the particles oscillate back and forth perpendicular to the direction of the standing wave.

3. How is the amplitude of a standing wave determined?

The amplitude of a standing wave is determined by the distance between the highest point (crest) and lowest point (trough) of the wave. In other words, it is the maximum displacement of particles from their rest position as the wave passes through them.

4. What factors affect the amplitude of a standing wave?

The amplitude of a standing wave is affected by the frequency and wavelength of the wave. As the frequency increases, the amplitude also increases. However, as the wavelength decreases, the amplitude decreases.

5. What are some real-life examples of standing wave transverse motion?

Standing wave transverse motion can be observed in various natural phenomena such as vibrating strings of a musical instrument, the surface of water in a bathtub or a pond, and the vibrations of air molecules in a flute or pipe. It is also used in various technologies like lasers, microwaves, and MRI machines.