Register to reply

Differential Equations Euler's method

by andyk23
Tags: differential, equations, euler, method
Share this thread:
andyk23
Feb19-13, 11:04 PM
P: 26
Find the solution y = φ(t) of the given problem and evaluate φ(t) at t = 0.1, 0.2, 0.3,
and 0.4.

1.y'=3+t-y
y = φ(t)=t-2e^-t
y(1)= 0+(0-2e^0)*(.1)=.8
and the correct answer is 1.19516

2. y'=2y-1

What I'm getting stuck on is do I use the formula y(n)=y(n-1)+f(t(n-1),y(n-1)h because when I do I do not get the same answers as back of the book.

Thanks for the help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
HallsofIvy
Feb20-13, 08:01 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Quote Quote by andyk23 View Post
Find the solution y = φ(t) of the given problem and evaluate φ(t) at t = 0.1, 0.2, 0.3,
and 0.4.

1.y'=3+t-y
y = φ(t)=t-2e^-t
Where did you get this? With y= t- 2e^{-t}, y'= 1+ 2e^{-t} while 3+ t- y= 3+ t+ t- 2e^{-t}= 3+ 2t- 2e^{-t}. They are NOT the same. In any case, you cannot get a specific solution to this without some "initial condition".

y(1)= 0+(0-2e^0)*(.1)=.8
and the correct answer is 1.19516
2. y'=2y-1

What I'm getting stuck on is do I use the formula y(n)=y(n-1)+f(t(n-1),y(n-1)h because when I do I do not get the same answers as back of the book.
You are using Euler's method for this? Yes, Euler's method approximates y'= dy/dx by [itex]\Delta y/\Delta x= \Delta y/h[/itex] so your equation becomes [itex]\Delta y/h= f(t, y)[/itex] so that [itex]\Delta y= y_n- y_{n-1}= f(t, y)h[/itex] so that [itex]y_n= y_{n-1}+ f(t, y)h[/itex]. For this problem, f(t, y)= 2y- 1 so you just have [itex]y_n= y_{n-1}+ (2y_{n-1}-1)h[/itex]. What did you get?
(And, again, you cannot solve a first order differential equation for a specific value with an "initial condition". What are you using for t0 and y0?

Thanks for the help!
andyk23
Feb20-13, 08:03 AM
P: 26
y(0)=1/2

Register to reply