Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates

In summary, Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates is a mathematical technique used in string theory to transform coordinates in a space-time manifold. It involves using diffeomorphisms to simplify equations and identify symmetries, making it easier to understand and analyze the theory. However, it may not always be applicable in all scenarios and is just one of many mathematical techniques used in string theory.
electroweak
I've been working through Polchinski on my own, and I have a really basic question. How would one derive equation 2.4.1? What does it even mean to write the stress tensor with the new indices z and z-bar? I thought this was obvious, but it isn't working out for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
clarification: this is not a homework problem, and it is not for a class.

got it. wow, forgot to lower indices. there is nothing deep here, as i had originally suspected.

Just did something analogous last week...dontcha just wish you would have waited??

1. What is Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates?

Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates refers to a mathematical technique used in string theory to transform coordinates in a space-time manifold. It allows for the simplification of equations and the identification of symmetries in the theory.

2. How does Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates work?

This technique involves transforming the coordinate system using a set of mathematical functions known as diffeomorphisms. These functions map points in one coordinate system to points in a different coordinate system, allowing for a more convenient representation of the space-time manifold.

3. Why is Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates important in string theory?

In string theory, the equations can be very complex and difficult to solve. By using the Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates, these equations can be simplified and symmetries can be identified, making it easier to understand and analyze the theory.

4. Are there any limitations to using Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates?

While this technique is useful in simplifying equations and identifying symmetries, it may not always be applicable in all scenarios. In some cases, the transformation may lead to singularities or other mathematical inconsistencies.

5. How is Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates related to other mathematical techniques in string theory?

Polchinski 2.4.1 change of coordinates is just one of the many mathematical techniques used in string theory, such as conformal transformations and gauge transformations. These techniques are all interconnected and work together to help us understand the complex nature of string theory.