Angular Momentum of a sliding disc about a point on the floor

by naes213
Tags: angular, disc, floor, momentum, point, sliding
Share this thread:
naes213
Feb20-13, 06:21 PM
P: 20
Hi everybody,

A seemingly straightforward example from lecture is causing me some confusion. The example was about calculating the angular momentum of a sliding disk (not rolling) about a point on the floor. The result given in lecture says the distance to the point on the floor is unrelated to the angular momentum:
[tex]\vec{L}=\vec{r} \times \vec{p}=\sum{\vec{r}_i \times \vec{p}_i}=\sum{\vec{r}_i \times m_i\vec{v}_i}=MRv [/tex]

where M is the total mass of the disc, R is the radius of the disc, and v is the translational velocity of the sliding disc. Now my confusion comes in at the last equal sign. I think it should read:
[tex]\sum{\vec{r}_i \times m_i \vec{v}_i}=\sum{m_i r_i v_i \sin{\theta_i}}[/tex]

where [itex]\theta_i[/itex] is the angle between each particles radius vector and the constant velocity vector. I don't see how this sum ends up as [itex]MRv[/itex] as was claimed in lecture.

I tried to write [itex] \theta_i [/itex] as a function of each ri and integrate over the disc, but didn't make progress. I know I can take the mi and vi out of the sum because they are the same for each i, but I still can't deal with the

[tex]\sum{r_i\sin{\theta_i}}[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, I don't know.

Thanks,
Sean
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
tiny-tim
Feb21-13, 08:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi Sean!
Quote Quote by naes213 View Post
[tex]\vec{L}=\vec{r} \times \vec{p}=\sum{\vec{r}_i \times \vec{p}_i}=\sum{\vec{r}_i \times m_i\vec{v}_i}=MRv [/tex]

where M is the total mass of the disc, R is the radius of the disc, and v is the translational velocity of the sliding disc.
No, R is the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of motion of the centre of mass.

ri x mi vi

= (∑ miri) x v since vi = a constant, v

and then use ∑ mi(ri - ro) = 0 by definition, where ro is the centre of mass
naes213
Feb21-13, 12:50 PM
P: 20
Ok, I see. That makes sense. In my situation it just so happens that the perpendicular distance is equal to the radius of the disc. In a more general scenario this would be different. Thank you!

Register to reply