Component of angular momentum perpendicular to rotation axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotation of a rigid body about a fixed axis z and the components of angular momentum \vec{L_z} and \vec{L_n}. There are doubts about the formula for \mid \vec{L_n} \mid and whether it is constant once calculated. It is also mentioned that \mid \vec{L_n} \mid is proportional to \mid \vec{\omega} \mid and that the external torque has two components. The characteristics of \vec{L_n} in the case of a changing \mid \vec{\omega} \mid are questioned, and it is suggested that the direction of \vec{L_n} and its derivative may be related to \vec{\alpha
Soren4
Consider the rotation of a rigid body about a fixed axis [itex]z[/itex], not passing through a principal axis of inertia of the body. The angular momentum [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] has a parallel component to the [itex]z[/itex] axis (called [itex]\vec{L_z}[/itex]) and a component perpendicular to it (called [itex]\vec{L_n}[/itex]). I have some doubts on [itex]\vec{L_n}[/itex].
fffffffffffffffff.jpg

From the picture we have that, taking a singular point of the rigid body [itex] P_i [/itex],

[itex]\mid \vec{L_{n,i}}\mid=m_i r_i R_i \omega cos\theta_i\implies \mid \vec{L_n}\mid=\omega \sum m_i r_i R_i cos\theta_i [/itex]

Is this correct? Now the quantity [itex]\sum m_i r_i R_i cos\theta_i [/itex] depends on the point [itex] O[/itex] used for the calculation of momenta, nevertheless it is a costant quantity, once calculated, right?

So is it possible to say that [itex]\mid \vec{L_n}\mid \propto \mid \vec{\omega} \mid[/itex] (1)?

If [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is constant then there is an external torque [itex]\vec{\tau}=\frac{d\vec{L}}{dt}=\frac{d\vec{L_n}}{dt}=\vec{\omega}\times\vec{L_n}[/itex], perpendicular both to [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{L_n}[/itex].

Now suppose that the direction of [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is still the same (the axis is fixed) but [itex]\mid\vec{\omega}\mid[/itex] changes. Then the external torque has two components. For the component parallel to the axis we can write [itex]\vec{\tau_z}=\frac{d\vec{L_z}}{dt}=I_z \vec{\alpha}[/itex], once calculated the moment of inertia [itex]I_z[/itex] with respect to the axis of rotation, while for the orthogonal component we have [itex]\vec{\tau_n}=\frac{d\vec{L_n}}{dt}[/itex], but what are the characteristics of the component [itex]\vec{L_n}[/itex] in that case?

If (1) holds then [itex]\frac{d\mid \vec{L_n} \mid}{dt} \propto \mid \vec{\alpha} \mid[/itex]

But what about the direction of [itex]\vec{L_n}[/itex] and of its derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, just to clear this up, we're calculating the angular momentum about an axis other than the axis it's rotating about? If that's the case, I think you're missing a trig function. One for the ##r_i cos(\theta_I) ## and another for ##R_i ## chunk. I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to do here, however.
Regardless, if you start from ##I = \int_B r^2dm##, and you calculate that about an axis, that should give you the proper results for any scenario, it's just that some are easier to calculate than others.

1. What is the definition of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis?

Angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the object.

2. How is the component of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis calculated?

The component of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis can be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the significance of the component of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis?

The component of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis is important because it determines the direction of the rotation and the stability of the object's motion. It also plays a role in understanding the conservation of angular momentum in rotational systems.

4. How does the component of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis change with respect to the axis of rotation?

The component of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on the object. However, if the axis of rotation changes, the direction of the angular momentum will also change.

5. Can the component of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis be negative?

Yes, the component of angular momentum perpendicular to the rotation axis can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the rotation is opposite to the direction of the angular velocity. It is important to consider the sign of the angular momentum when studying rotational motion.