Register to reply

Laplace’s equation inside a semi-infinite strip

Share this thread:
Hio
Feb21-13, 12:48 AM
P: 1
Hello everyone,
can anyone help me with solving Laplace’s equation inside a semi-infinite strip.
Is there specific steps to follow. I'm gonna give an example and I will be really grateful
if someone explains to me.

Solve Laplace’s equation ∇2u = 0 inside a semi-infinite strip (0 < x < ∞, 0 < y < H) with the following boundary condi- tions:
u(x,0) = 0, u(x,H) = 0, u(0,y) = f(y).

I miss the classes and I feel I'm lost.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
pasmith
Feb21-13, 03:29 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 1,008
Quote Quote by Hio View Post
Hello everyone,
can anyone help me with solving Laplace’s equation inside a semi-infinite strip.
Is there specific steps to follow. I'm gonna give an example and I will be really grateful
if someone explains to me.

Solve Laplace’s equation ∇2u = 0 inside a semi-infinite strip (0 < x < ∞, 0 < y < H) with the following boundary condi- tions:
u(x,0) = 0, u(x,H) = 0, u(0,y) = f(y).

I miss the classes and I feel I'm lost.
You will want to solve this using separation of variables. The idea is to take a linear combination of solutions of Laplace's equation of the form [itex]X(x)Y(y)[/itex]. Then
[tex]
\nabla^2 (XY) = X''(x)Y(y) + X(x)Y''(y) = 0
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
\frac{X''}{X} + \frac{Y''}{Y} = 0.
[/tex]
The first term on the left is a function only of x and the second a function only of y. The only way this equation can hold for all x and y is if each term is constant. Hence
[tex]X'' = CX \\
Y'' = -CY
[/tex]
for some real constant [itex]C[/itex] (known as a separation constant). The values of [itex]C[/itex] we need to take depend on the boundary conditions, which are:
[tex]
X(0) = 1,\qquad \lim_{x \to \infty} X(x) = 0 \\
Y(0) = Y(h) = 0
[/tex]
with [itex]Y(y)[/itex] not identically zero (actually all that's required is [itex]X(0) \neq 0[/itex], but it is convenient to specify [itex]X(0) = 1[/itex]).

The easiest boundary condition to satisfy is that [itex]X(x) \to 0[/itex] as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex]. We must have [itex]X(x) = e^{-kx}[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]. This means that [itex]C = k^2[/itex] so that
[tex]
Y'' = -k^2 Y
[/tex]
subject to [itex]Y(0) = Y(h) = 0[/itex] but with [itex]Y(y)[/itex] not identically zero. That can be done if we take [itex]k = (n\pi)/h[/itex] for some positive integer [itex]n[/itex] with
[tex]
Y(y) = B\sin \left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right)
[/tex]
where the constant [itex]B[/itex] cannot be determined from the boundary conditions on [itex]Y[/itex]. But given the next stage of the solution we may as well take [itex]B= 1[/itex].

Putting this together, we have, for each positive integer [itex]n[/itex], an eigenfunction
[tex]
X_n(x) Y_n(y) = \exp\left(-\frac{n\pi x}{h}\right) \sin\left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right)
[/tex]
and the natural thing to do is to take a linear combination of these,
[tex]
u(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \exp\left(-\frac{n\pi x}{h}\right) \sin\left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right),[/tex]
and choose the coefficients [itex]a_n[/itex] to satisfy the boundary condition [itex]u(0,y) = f(y)[/itex]. We then have
[tex]f(y) = u(0,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \sin\left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right)
[/tex]
which is the fourier sine series for [itex]f(y)[/itex] on the interval [itex]0 \leq y \leq h[/itex]. Thus
[tex]
a_n = \frac{2}{h} \int_0^h f(y) \sin\left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right)\,\mathrm{d}y.[/tex]

Register to reply