The boundary conditions in reference to Laplace's equation

In summary: D in the general solution is as a result of the boundary condition we shall be using to determine ##a_n## because if we used the alternative condition ##u(x,0)=g_1(x)## then we shall not ignore the constant D.In summary, the conversation revolved around the Laplace equation and its boundary conditions. The choice of a nonzero function for one of the boundary conditions was discussed, with the conclusion that the choice is arbitrary and any edge can be chosen. The problem was then decomposed into four homogenous problems, each with three homogenous boundary conditions and one inhomogenous boundary condition. The use of different boundary conditions, such as u(x,0)=g1(x), may result in different
chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I am looking at Laplace equation. The beginning steps are pretty clear...kindly see attached... I need some insight on the given boundary conditions
1669895975385.png

We have inhomogenous dirichlet boundary conditions (well understood)....the laplace equation is a steady state equation and we can clearly see that in 2D..it will be defined by 4 boundary conditions and NO initial condition...having said that; kindly have a look at the continuation below...

1669896171570.png

I can follow the steps; In the attempt to solve; they made ##3## boundary conditions homogenous thereby leaving one inhomogenous boundary condition to work with to realize steps to solution...
Now my question is; Why the choice of ##f_1(x)## ? or it does not matter...could we as well have worked with ##u(0,y)=g_1(y)## and made the other ##3## conditions homogenous? The other steps are not difficult to follow....am on that now cheers!

Attachments

• 1669896106517.png
    1669896106517.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 89
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
TL;DR Summary: I am looking at Laplace equation. The beginning steps are pretty clear...kindly see attached... I need some insight on the given boundary conditions

Now my question is; Why the choice of f1(x) ?
The example simply chooses one of the edges to be a nonzero function. The choice is arbitrary and could be any edge (although a particular choice may make the notation simpler)

Likes chwala
Ok I will explore this...looks like if we were to use ##g_1(y)## then I guess that we shall be dealing with solutions (both general and particular) in terms of ##y##...

Hmmmmm...getting to understand this isn't a walk in the park...spent a whole 25 minutes trying to go through the problem...Will post my area of doubts/clarity later...

Now my question is; Why the choice of ##f_1(x)## ? or it does not matter...could we as well have worked with ##u(0,y)=g_1(y)## and made the other ##3## conditions homogenous? The other steps are not difficult to follow....am on that now cheers!

The problem is linear; you can decompose it as the sun of four problems, each of which is homogenous on three sides and inhomogenous on the fourth.

Likes chwala
I am still on this problem...i have a query on the highlighted part of the notes...can we use the alternative approach below?

We have,

##Y=C \cosh (λy) + D \sinh (λy)## now on using the boundary condition ##u(x,b)=0##

We can also get;

##0=C\cosh (λb)+0##

##0=C+ 0##

##⇒C=0##

Instead of the ##C=-D\tanh (λb)## given on the text. Would that also be correct?

It then follows that,

##⇒Y=D \sinh (λy)##

then the other steps may follow i.e
##U_n( x,y) = \sin \dfrac{nπx}{a} ⋅ \sinh \dfrac{nπy}{a} ##

Just another question on the given general solution; why did they ignore/leave out the Constants B and D ?

We ought to have;

##U_n( x,y) = B\sin \dfrac{nπx}{a} ⋅ D \sinh \dfrac{nπy}{a} ##

Attachments

• laplace pde.pdf
    418 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
chwala said:
I am still on this problem...i have a query on the highlighted part of the notes...can we use the alternative approach below?

We have,

##Y=C \cosh (λy) + D \sinh (λy)## now on using the boundary condition ##u(x,b)=0##

We can also get;

##0=C\cosh (λb)+0##

Why is [itex]D\sinh (\lambda b)[/itex] zero?

##0=C+ 0##

##⇒C=0##

Instead of the ##C=-D\tanh (λb)## given on the text. Would that also be correct?

No. You need [itex]Y(0) \neq 0[/itex] in order to apply the boundary condition on [itex]y = 0[/itex]. That means you need a non-zero coefficient of [itex]\cosh (\lambda y)[/itex]. What the text is saying is that [tex]
\begin{split}
\sinh(\lambda(b-y)) &= \sinh(\lambda b)\cosh(\lambda y) - \cosh(\lambda b)\sinh(\lambda y) \\
&= \cosh(\lambda b)\left(\tanh(\lambda b)\cosh(\lambda y) - \sinh(\lambda y)\right) \end{split}[/tex] is a solution of [itex]Y'' = \lambda^2 Y[/itex] which satisfies [itex]Y(b) = 0[/itex] and [itex]Y(0) \neq 0[/itex] - and every non-zero multiple of that solution is also a solution.

It then follows that,

##⇒Y=D \sinh (λy)##

Just another question on the given general solution; why did they ignore/leave out the Constants B and D ?

We ought to have;

How do you determine the coefficients [itex]a_n[/itex] in [itex]u(x,0) = \sum_{n} a_n U_n(x,0)[/itex], and how does the value of [itex]U_n(x,0) \neq 0[/itex] affect the value of [itex]a_n[/itex]?

pasmith said:
No. You need [itex]Y(0) \neq 0[/itex] in order to apply the boundary condition on [itex]y = 0[/itex]. That means you need a non-zero coefficient of [itex]\cosh (\lambda y)[/itex]. What the text is saying is that [tex]
\begin{split}
\sinh(\lambda(b-y)) &= \sinh(\lambda b)\cosh(\lambda y) - \cosh(\lambda b)\sinh(\lambda y) \\
&= \cosh(\lambda b)\left(\tanh(\lambda b)\cosh(\lambda y) - \sinh(\lambda y)\right) \end{split}[/tex] is a solution of [itex]Y'' = \lambda^2 Y[/itex] which satisfies [itex]Y(b) = 0[/itex] and [itex]Y(0) \neq 0[/itex] - and every non-zero multiple of that solution is also a solution.
How do you determine the coefficients [itex]a_n[/itex] in [itex]u(x,0) = \sum_{n} a_n U_n(x,0)[/itex], and how does the value of [itex]U_n(x,0) \neq 0[/itex] affect the value of [itex]a_n[/itex]?

'Why is [itex]D\sinh (\lambda b)[/itex] zero?'

Response;

I used the boundary condition ##u(x,b)=0## on

##Y=C \cosh (λy) + D \sinh (λy)## to give me

##0=C \cosh (λb) + D \sinh (λb)##

##0=C\cosh (λb)+0##

##0=C+ 0##

##⇒C=0##

It then follows that,

##Y=D \sinh (λy)##

when ##b=0## then it follows that ##\sinh (λb)=0## and ##\cosh (λb)=1## .

Let me know if this reasoning is correct. I used that in arriving at my general solution as indicated above...

Kindly note that the difference in my approach and the text is on ##y## and the ##(y-b)##...

##U_n( x,y) = \sin \dfrac{nπx}{a} ⋅ \sinh \dfrac{nπ(y-b)}{a} ## [text approach]

##U_n( x,y) = \sin \dfrac{nπx}{a} ⋅ \sinh \dfrac{nπy}{a} ## [My approach]

Last edited:
pasmith said:
\begin{split}
If i am getting you right, we are going to use the inhomogenous boundary condition to determine the coefficient ##a_n##.

My question is in reference to the step before applying the inhomogenous boundary condition...i can follow the steps quite well...i just want to know if the reason behind ignoring the coefficents ##B## and ##D## in

##U_n( x,y) = B\sin \dfrac{nπx}{a} ⋅ D \sinh \dfrac{nπ(y-b)}{a} ##

is due to the fact that they are inconsequential...or they will be taken care when determining value of ##a_n##. Cheers.

chwala said:
'Why is [itex]D\sinh (\lambda b)[/itex] zero?'

Response;

I used the boundary condition ##u(x,b)=0## on

##Y=C \cosh (λy) + D \sinh (λy)## to give me

##0=C \cosh (λb) + D \sinh (λb)##

##0=C\cosh (λb)+0##

But you can't have [itex]D\sinh(\lambda b) = 0[/itex] withouh at least one of [itex]D[/itex], [itex]\lambda[/itex], and [itex]b[/itex] being zero. We know that [itex]b \neq 0[/itex], and by assumption [itex]\lambda > 0[/itex]; therefore you must have [itex]D = 0[/itex]. So when you subsequently conclude that [itex]C = 0[/itex] you in fact have [itex]Y \equiv 0[/itex] which is not allowed.

pasmith said:
But you can't have [itex]D\sinh(\lambda b) = 0[/itex] withouh at least one of [itex]D[/itex], [itex]\lambda[/itex], and [itex]b[/itex] being zero. We know that [itex]b \neq 0[/itex], and by assumption [itex]\lambda > 0[/itex]; therefore you must have [itex]D = 0[/itex]. So when you subsequently conclude that [itex]C = 0[/itex] you in fact have [itex]Y \equiv 0[/itex] which is not allowed.
Thanks, let me look at this again slowly and in detail...fun going through this...though a bit confusing...

...i noted the use of the homogenous boundary conditions in this particular order ##u(0,y), u(a,y), ## that were applied on ##X## and ##u(x,b), u(a,y)## that were applied on ##Y##.

I will need to go all over again then finish with the last part that will make use of the inhomogenous boundary condition. Cheers mate.

pasmith said:
...just confirm i thought we have ##Y(b)=0## thus ##b## can indeed be equal to ##0##... or am i not getting it right?

chwala said:
...just confirm i thought we have ##Y(b)=0## thus ##b## can indeed be equal to ##0##... or am i not getting it right?

[itex]b[/itex] is fixed by the problem: it's part of the definition of the domain of [itex]u[/itex]. You don't get to choose it to your advantage.

pasmith said:
[itex]b[/itex] is fixed by the problem: it's part of the definition of the domain of [itex]u[/itex]. You don't get to choose it to your advantage.
If you look at the text; they have indicated that

##Y=C \cosh (λy) + D \sinh (λy)## can match ##Y(b)=0##. I just followed the text and did not choose it...not unless my interpretation is wrong.

chwala said:
If you look at the text; they have indicated that

##Y=C \cosh (λy) + D \sinh (λy)## can match ##Y(b)=0##. I just followed the text and did not choose it...not unless my interpretation is wrong.

I don't see that in the text. Do you have an equation number reference for it?

pasmith said:
I don't see that in the text. Do you have an equation number reference for it?
Check on page ##4## of the attached pdf.

I see
[itex]Y'' - \lambda^2 Y = 0 \Rightarrow Y(y) = C\cosh \lambda y + D\sinh \lambda y[/itex] can only match [itex]Y(0) = 0[/itex] or [itex]Y(b) = 0[/itex]
and
[itex]Y'' + \lambda^2 Y = 0 \Rightarrow Y(y) = C\cos \lambda y + D\sin \lambda y[/itex] can match [itex]Y(0) = 0 = Y(b)[/itex]
We are looking at the first case.

Likes chwala
chwala said:

We have,

We can also get;

##0=C\cosh (λb)+0##

##0=C+ 0##

##⇒C=0##

It then follows that,

##⇒Y=D \sinh (λy)##

We ought to have;

This was wrong thinking on my part! I am on it now... actually before this step we have;

##u(x,b)=X(x)⋅Y(b)=0##, that is from the given boundary condition; ##u(x,b)=0##, therefore, it follows that ## Y(b)=0##.

Thus we shall have;

##y(b)=C \cosh(λb)+D \sinh(λb)##

##0=C \cosh(λb)+D \sinh(λb)##

##⇒C=-D\tanh (λb)## ...

My point is that i was wrong by stating that ##C=0##.

Cheers

I am conversant now with solving this problem at ease; just need some clarification on the highlighted part;

1671799724268.png

1671799754756.png

on the integral part... looks like something to do with Fourier?...or something else...cheers mate!

Yes, it is a fourier series.

Likes chwala
Thanks @pasmith happy festivities mate!:cool:

hutchphd said:
The example simply chooses one of the edges to be a nonzero function. The choice is arbitrary and could be any edge (although a particular choice may make the notation simpler)
Just to be absolutely clear on this; You said we can choose to make any of the boundary conditions: ##u(x,0), u(x,b), u(a,y) ## and ##u(0,y)## to be inhomogenous?

chwala said:
I am conversant now with solving this problem at ease; just need some clarification on the highlighted part;

View attachment 319260

View attachment 319261

on the integral part... looks like something to do with Fourier?...or something else...cheers mate!

Yeah now i understand this; from fourier sine series;

$$B_n=\dfrac{1}{a}\int_{-a}^a f_1(x) \sin (\dfrac{nπx}{a})dx=\dfrac{2}{a}\int_0^a f_1(x) \sin (\dfrac{nπx}{a})dx$$ with ##n=1,2.3,...##

Am looking at the Fourier series now (for both ##\sin## and ##\cos## ) -am refreshing actually...they are pretty easy! only thing challenging is the integration of parts-sometimes 2 to 3 times- phew :wink: and dealing with the constants ...here and there... otherwise, they're quite easy!

Last edited:

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a given region. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena, such as heat flow, fluid dynamics, and electrostatics.

2. What are boundary conditions in reference to Laplace's equation?

Boundary conditions refer to the set of constraints that are applied to the solution of Laplace's equation at the boundaries of the given region. These conditions specify the behavior of the scalar field at the boundaries and are essential for obtaining a unique solution to the equation.

3. Why are boundary conditions important in solving Laplace's equation?

Boundary conditions are crucial because they help determine the specific solution to Laplace's equation. Without these conditions, the equation would have an infinite number of solutions, making it impossible to obtain a unique solution that accurately describes the physical system being modeled.

4. What are some common types of boundary conditions used in solving Laplace's equation?

Some common types of boundary conditions include Dirichlet boundary conditions, which specify the value of the scalar field at the boundaries, and Neumann boundary conditions, which specify the derivative of the scalar field at the boundaries. Other types include mixed boundary conditions and periodic boundary conditions.

5. How are boundary conditions applied in solving Laplace's equation?

Boundary conditions are typically applied by incorporating them into the general solution of Laplace's equation. This can be done either analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the problem. In some cases, boundary conditions may also be used to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.