Singlet oxygen in combustion-(Why is it not being used)?

by hobbs125
Tags: combustionwhy, oxygen, singlet
hobbs125
Feb21-13, 07:28 PM
P: 100
Over the last few days I have been studing combusiton reactions.
I have found numerous papers that all state singlet oxygen can increase the combustion efficiency.

My question is: Why is singlet oxygen not being used in todays automibiles?

It seems to me the only issue would be controlling the rate of singlet oxygen production in changing environments...

Just curious?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
Borek
Feb22-13, 02:01 AM
Admin
P: 22,679
Question is if it is economically feasible to install converter in a car, and whether energy consumed by the converter will not lower the total performance.
Darwin123
Feb24-13, 08:09 PM
P: 741
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Question is if it is economically feasible to install converter in a car, and whether energy consumed by the converter will not lower the total performance.
Maybe safety is an issue, too. Couldn't singlet oxygen react with diatomic oxygen to form ozone?

Borek
Feb25-13, 02:34 AM
Admin
P: 22,679

Singlet oxygen in combustion-(Why is it not being used)?

Are you sure you are not mistaking singlet oxygen for monoatomic oxygen? Quick googling shows that - if anything - it is exactly the opposite, it is ozone that produces single oxygen while reacting with organic molecules.

Besides, the idea is to use the singlet oxygen for combustion, so it shouldn't leave the engine.
Darwin123
Feb25-13, 05:28 PM
P: 741
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Are you sure you are not mistaking singlet oxygen for monoatomic oxygen? Quick googling shows that - if anything - it is exactly the opposite, it is ozone that produces single oxygen while reacting with organic molecules.

Besides, the idea is to use the singlet oxygen for combustion, so it shouldn't leave the engine.
Yes, I mistook monotonic oxygen for singlet oxygen.
Sorry. At least, this time, I asked before I answered.

Register to reply