Math forum adjustments

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: adjustments, math
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Feb26-13, 01:09 PM
Admin
P: 9,469
Micromass and several Science Advisors have been working hard to further refine our math forums. Here are the changes:
  • We renamed "Calculus & Analysis" to "Calculus" and changed the description.
  • We add a new forum "Topology and Analysis"
  • We renamed "Geometry and Topology" to "Differential Geometry" and changed the description.
  • We changed the descriptions of the "linear and abstract algebra" and "Set theory" forums.
  • We merged "number theory" with the "linear and abstract algebra" forum.

Over the next few weeks staff will be moving threads into the new "Topology and Analysis" forum.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Petek
Feb27-13, 01:52 PM
P: 361
I suggest that either the Linear & Abstract Algebra forum be renamed to include number theory in its title, or that the description be changed to include number theory. Otherwise, a member probably would choose to post number theory questions in the General Math forum, since its description (For any math topics not applicable to the categories below. High-school Mathematics) seems seems to fit such questions.
dodo
Mar31-13, 07:50 AM
P: 688
The Linear & Abstract Algebra forum had its description changed to include number theory, but in a somewhat hasty way. I wonder if it would be possible to change
Vector spaces and linear transformations. Groups and other algebraic structures along with Number Theory.
to
Vector spaces and linear transformations. Groups and other algebraic structures. Number Theory.
It seems to me that it would be better phrased, and more in the style of the other forums' descriptions.

Register to reply