A few site changes: honors, gold members etc

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the forum has made several changes to improve user experience. The recognition postbit box has been changed to colored dots with acronyms, making it more compact and quicker to scan. The word "Recognitions" has been changed to "Honors" and a new Honor has been added for those with many "Thanks". Gold membership has been renamed to Supporter Membership and a new forum jump drop down has been added for easier navigation.
1. First off we have changed our recognition postbit box. From the medals and written text to colored dots with acronyms. It's now more compact, scalable, and quicker to scan.

SA = Science Advisor
HH = Homework Helper
SM = Supporter Membership
MT = Many "Thanks"
SE = Staff Emeritus

2. We have changed the word "Recognitions" to "Honors".

3. We have added a new Honor. For those who accumulate many "Thanks", they will receive an Honor. We will not publicly record how many "Thanks" are needed. In the future we may consider adding more Honors. One that is in consideration is adding the yearly member award as an Honor.

4. To reduce confusion, we have renamed Gold membership to Supporter Membership (SM). This more clearly describes the membership as these members have either supported PF by finance or promotion.

5. I have added a forum jump drop down at the top nav called "Forums". Click it and you'll have an easy way to navigate the forums. ref: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=698243

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
I like 'em! Nice work.

1. What are the new honors on the website and how do I earn them?

The new honors on the website are badges that recognize members for their contributions and involvement on the site. There are various ways to earn honors, such as being an active member, participating in discussions, and receiving positive feedback from other members.

2. How do I become a gold member and what are the benefits?

To become a gold member, you must upgrade your membership by paying a fee. Gold members have access to exclusive features, such as advanced search options and the ability to create private groups. They also have a higher chance of being featured on the site and receiving special offers.

3. Will my previous honors and badges be affected by these changes?

No, your previous honors and badges will not be affected. They will still be displayed on your profile and you will still have the opportunity to earn new honors and badges under the new system.

4. Can I still participate in discussions and forums as a non-gold member?

Yes, as a non-gold member, you can still participate in discussions and forums. However, gold members may have access to exclusive forums and may have more visibility in discussions.

5. Are there any other changes to the site that I should be aware of?

Aside from the new honors and gold membership options, there are no major changes to the site. However, we are constantly working to improve the user experience and may make small changes or updates in the future.