Register to reply

Finished PhD for one year and can't find a job

by jacksonshana
Tags: finished
Share this thread:
wolfmax
Feb27-13, 04:27 PM
P: 16
I can back up what Lavabug is saying. PhD is not necessarily the goal with physics undergrads in the UK, as it seems to be in other countries. In fact I've had many conversations with international students who marvel in us Brits lack of academic fervour.

To the OP, if you've found something that maintains your standard of living and doesn't drive you round the twist, then that's not to be sniffed at. Keep your eye out and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
Lavabug
Feb27-13, 04:43 PM
P: 899
Quote Quote by wolfmax View Post
In fact I've had many conversations with international students who marvel in us Brits lack of academic fervour.
I wonder if that is the impression that UK institutions get from their own students, resulting in discrimination at the post-doc level. Most postdocs in astrophysics at my uni are foreign.
wolfmax
Feb27-13, 05:25 PM
P: 16
Quote Quote by Lavabug View Post
I wonder if that is the impression that UK institutions get from their own students, resulting in discrimination at the post-doc level. Most postdocs in astrophysics at my uni are foreign.
I think it is. I had an informal conversation with some lecturers at my uni and they all seem to favour foreign students. "They work harder" is what they say. From what I've seen I'd probably agree. We just want an easy life.

Register to reply