Astro MRes after PhD in another field?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of postdoc applicants with a PhD in a different field (physical oceanography) and an MRes in astrophysics. The person is interested in pursuing a PhD in astronomy but does not qualify for funding in the UK. They have a BSc in physics and an MSc in astronomy and have found a PhD project in physical oceanography that they are considering applying for. The conversation also brings up the idea of applying for postdoc positions that list "PhD in physics or related field" as a requirement, and the potential challenges of competing with others who have more experience in astrophysics. The person wonders if pursuing a PhD outside of the UK would be a better option.
sunrah
How would you respond to postdoc applicants if they hold a PhD in another field (physical oceanography) and then complete an MRes in astrophysics?
Just interested because I don't qualify for funding for any of the astronomy and cosmology PhD positions I'v found in the UK (even though I am British, I haven't been a permanent resident for a number of years).
I have BSc in physics and MSc in astronomy. I have found one PhD project in physical oceanography which specifically mentions that EU nationals (I have dual nationality) can apply even without permanent resident status and I have spoken with the supervisor who encouraged me to apply (I know this project has been available for a number of years now and it's actually quite a good opportunity to work with a national agency, but I still want to keep my astronomy dreams alive :) ).

Thanks I guess it's a long shot.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what they did during their PhD and what they apply for. It also depends on the fixed requirements for the postdoc - usually it is "PhD in physics or related field" or something. You can check some job offers now and ask if oceanography would be accepted if the description is not clear enough. These won't be the postdoc jobs you are interested in but that should give you an idea what people think about it.

MRes = Master? Doing that after a PhD (any type) is unusual, and I'm not sure how much it would help.

I see that the nationality and resident status play a role in the question, but I think the approach is odd. Finding a postdoc position is usually more difficult than finding a PhD position - even for people not switching the field. And you'll compete with people who have ~3 years more experience in the field then. You might have other strengths, but in terms of astrophysics knowledge these people will out-compete you by far, even a master degree wouldn't change that. It also sounds like you consider the oceanography PhD only because it's available, not because you are fascinated by it. That will make it really tough to finish the PhD.

Does it have to be in the UK? What about a PhD elsewhere? The UK isn't known for good PhD funding anyway.

1. What is an Astro MRes after a PhD in another field?

An Astro MRes is a Masters of Research degree focused on the field of astrophysics. It is designed for students who have already completed a PhD in a different field, but wish to switch to astrophysics for their postgraduate studies.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an Astro MRes after a PhD in another field?

The Astro MRes allows students to gain in-depth knowledge and skills in the field of astrophysics, which can open up new career opportunities. It also provides a focused research experience that can enhance future PhD applications or other research-related positions.

3. Can I pursue an Astro MRes after a PhD in any field?

While an Astro MRes is open to students with PhDs in any field, it is recommended that the student's previous research experience and academic background align with the astrophysics program they wish to pursue.

4. How long does it take to complete an Astro MRes after a PhD in another field?

The duration of an Astro MRes program can vary, but it typically takes one year of full-time study to complete. Part-time options may also be available depending on the university and program.

5. Are there any specific requirements for admission into an Astro MRes program after a PhD in another field?

Admission requirements for an Astro MRes program will vary among universities, but most will require a minimum GPA, relevant coursework or research experience, and a strong letter of recommendation from a previous academic advisor or supervisor.