Pure Math/computer science major

by Tmstan04
Tags: major, math or computer, pure, science
Tmstan04
Feb27-13, 08:14 AM
P: 1
I am interested in being a cryptographer after college. I want to get a double major in pure mathematics and computer science with a minor in two foreign languages (I'm thinking french and russian). After I get my graduate degree I plan to go to graduate school to get a masters degree in computer science and a PHD in mathematics (some schools offer dual programs in which you only take a couple extra classes to get both). Do you think this is a good idea, and will make me competitive in the field? Do you have any recommendations, such as colleges to attend, changing my plans, ect.?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
chiro
Feb27-13, 07:56 PM
P: 4,570
Hey Tmstan04 and welcome to the forums.

If you want to work for the NSA I would go to their website and find out what the criteria not only to work for them with technical skills, but also for security clearance.

There is no point trying to get in if there are issues with your security clearance.
EternityMech
Feb27-13, 08:54 PM
P: 93
i suggest CS, it has the best job opportunities.
or do something in line with computational mathematics where you become basically an applied mathematician writing complex algs.

Register to reply