Can't get styles to work on the fist page of References - TeX

by marcio
Tags: fist, references, styles, work
Share this thread:
marcio
Feb28-13, 08:38 AM
P: 33
Hi all,

The references have about 10 pages, and I set them to be fancy, ie, footers, headers, page numbers etc... but this will only work from the second page on. The first page won't accept any other settings but LaTeX defaults.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Hepth
Feb28-13, 10:28 AM
PF Gold
P: 471
Without knowing what TeX install you're using, what article type, etc. theres no real way of knowing. But if this is a TeX of ONLY references, then perhaps its making the first page of the document your "title page" and automatically suppressing the footers/etc. So you need to figure out how to force page numbers/etc on a title page.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questio...-on-every-page

might have some info on forcing pagetype.
marcio
Feb28-13, 11:14 AM
Quote Quote by Hepth View Post
Without knowing what TeX install you're using, what article type, etc. theres no real way of knowing. But if this is a TeX of ONLY references, then perhaps its making the first page of the document your "title page" and automatically suppressing the footers/etc. So you need to figure out how to force page numbers/etc on a title page.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questio...-on-every-page

might have some info on forcing pagetype.
It's a thesis so I chose 'report':

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{report}

and this is the references settings:

\bibliographystyle{ametsoc}
\renewcommand{\bibname}{Referências}
\bibliography{Referencias}%{lof}{\protect\thispagestyle{fancy}}
\thispagestyle{fancy}

and I'm using MikTeX on Windows 8.

Very much appreciated.

gsal
Feb28-13, 05:13 PM
P: 880
Can't get styles to work on the fist page of References - TeX

Like Hepth said, maybe you are observing that behavior BECAUSE the references document is a legal latex document and can be compiled in its own right...BUT, references are usually included into a main document...when you compile THAT document, the first page of the references document will not be the first page of the document and, thus, I think it will behave that way you seem to want it to.

Does this make sense? Is that what you are doing/not-doing?
marcio
Feb28-13, 08:30 PM
Quote Quote by gsal View Post
Like Hepth said, maybe you are observing that behavior BECAUSE the references document is a legal latex document and can be compiled in its own right...BUT, references are usually included into a main document...when you compile THAT document, the first page of the references document will not be the first page of the document and, thus, I think it will behave that way you seem to want it to.

Does this make sense? Is that what you are doing/not-doing?
To be honest, and with all due respect and my limited knowledge of LaTeX, I don't think this makes much sense! We should be able to do whatever we need. I, for instance, just can't figure out how to do this!

Márcio
gsal
Mar1-13, 07:51 AM
P: 880
Márcio:

I hear you. The thing is that if you are coming from other word processors that make certain things seemingly easier to achieve, you certainly find that latex has a totally different paradigm and accompanying learning curve...but it is much more powerful, stable and scalable.

Just keep in mind that Latex is not a word processor; latex and friends are a publishing tool-chain that at times can feel more like programming than writing...and you do have to compile to see the results.

So, while some limited amount of venting is understandable, if you really want some help around here, you need to also do some experimentation, try alternatives in an attempt to achieve the same final results, etc., and provide feedback.

So, here are some explicit question for which would be nice if you gave explicit answers:

is the References document a legal, self-contain latex document that can be compiled on its own?

or is it a bibliography file?

are you planning to compile the References document, print it and THEN manually bind it after the Thesis document?

Or

are you planning to \include or \input the References document into the main Thesis document?

Or

are you planning to use a bibliography file that after using references from there along your Thesis document, at the end, you can request a References section listing all used references throughout your document?
marcio
Mar1-13, 11:22 AM
Quote Quote by gsal View Post
Márcio:

I hear you. The thing is that if you are coming from other word processors that make certain things seemingly easier to achieve, you certainly find that latex has a totally different paradigm and accompanying learning curve...but it is much more powerful, stable and scalable.

Just keep in mind that Latex is not a word processor; latex and friends are a publishing tool-chain that at times can feel more like programming than writing...and you do have to compile to see the results.

So, while some limited amount of venting is understandable, if you really want some help around here, you need to also do some experimentation, try alternatives in an attempt to achieve the same final results, etc., and provide feedback.

So, here are some explicit question for which would be nice if you gave explicit answers:

is the References document a legal, self-contain latex document that can be compiled on its own?

or is it a bibliography file?

are you planning to compile the References document, print it and THEN manually bind it after the Thesis document?

Or

are you planning to \include or \input the References document into the main Thesis document?

Or

are you planning to use a bibliography file that after using references from there along your Thesis document, at the end, you can request a References section listing all used references throughout your document?
Yes, it is a thesis and I'm using a bibliography file (bibtex) like this:

\bibliographystyle{ametsoc}
\renewcommand{\bibname}{Referências}
\bibliography{ref/Referencias}

I noticed the same behaviour happens to the Appendix. The first page is set as default and the others accept my personalized settings (footer, header etc)

Many thanks
AlephZero
Mar1-13, 02:38 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,162
Most LxTeX document formats are designed so the first page of each chunk of the document (e.g. each chapter) has a different format. That usually makes sense, because you don't want the chapter heading duplicated as part of the page heading on the same page.

That is usually built into the code of the \chapter or \section command, using \thispagestyle{...} to redefine the page style for the current page.

The table of contents, bibliography, etc, usually use \chapter or \section to typeset their own headings, so they inherit the same behaviour.

The best way to override this is redefine the "plain" page style to look the same as the other pages. See http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mir...r/fancyhdr.pdf section 7 (on page 7)

A crude brute force method is just to define "thispagestyle" to do nothing (and ignore the LaTeX Style Police trying to break down your door!!)

\def\thispagestyle#1{}
marcio
Mar1-13, 03:02 PM
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Most LxTeX document formats are designed so the first page of each chunk of the document (e.g. each chapter) has a different format. That usually makes sense, because you don't want the chapter heading duplicated as part of the page heading on the same page.

That is usually built into the code of the \chapter or \section command, using \thispagestyle{...} to redefine the page style for the current page.

The table of contents, bibliography, etc, usually use \chapter or \section to typeset their own headings, so they inherit the same behaviour.

The best way to override this is redefine the "plain" page style to look the same as the other pages. See http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mir...r/fancyhdr.pdf section 7 (on page 7)

A crude brute force method is just to define "thispagestyle" to do nothing (and ignore the LaTeX Style Police trying to break down your door!!)

\def\thispagestyle#1{}
Holy cow, AlephZero! I can't thank you enough. You just hit the nail in the head with the \def command.

Cheers

Márcio
marcio
Mar1-13, 07:39 PM
Hi

Do you know if there is a way of 'stopping' this command? Once you use it, all following pages get footers and headers etc.

Very much appreciated
marcio
Mar1-13, 07:59 PM
figured out. thank you!

Register to reply