Using TeX to write Scientific reports

• Thread starter superkam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, the conversation is about a physics student trying to use TeX to write a lab report and encountering difficulties with creating a template that adheres to their university's guidelines and looks similar to a provided example. The student is having trouble with adding a header on the front page and centering section titles in the middle of columns. They have tried using the fancyhdr package for headers and footers and are using MikTeX and a text editor called WinShell. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use revtex4 for a neater outcome.
superkam

Homework Statement

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum (or even the wrong forum!) but I'm a second year undergraduate physics student, trying to use TeX to write a lap report for the first time (I've previously been using MS Word). Basically before I start writing the actual report I'm trying to get a template set up to fit both my Universities guidelines and to (hopefully) look something like this: http://www.phys.ufl.edu/courses/phy4803L/sample-paper.pdf

I've sent several hours on this template already, and I think I'm almost there, there's just two things that I don't seem to be able to accomplish. These are:
- Having a header (e.g. name, date etc ) on just the front page, but having a footer (page number on EVERY page).
- Centering a section's title in the middle of the column in which it belongs in (not centering it in the middle of the page!)

2. The attempt at a solution

Here is my source code, as I said I haven't added any text yet as I am only up to creating the template for my work (note I am using the fancyhdr package for my headers and footers, I am using a text editor called WinShell, and I am also using MikTeX but I'm not sure what this does).\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{setspace} %
\onehalfspacing % Line spacing
\usepackage{fullpage} % Margin setting
\usepackage{multicol} %Using columns
\setlength{\columnsep}{25pt} %Seperation BETWEEN columns
\usepackage{fancyhdr} %Package for headers and footers
\pagestyle{fancy}
\usepackage{graphicx} % For images
\usepackage{float} % For tables and other floats
\usepackage{amsmath} % For math
\usepackage{amssymb} % For more math

\fancyhead{}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.0pt}

\lhead{Student Code \\ \today}
\chead{}
\rhead{Name}

\fancyfoot{}
\rfoot{\pageof}

\begin{document}
\begin{center}
{ \vspace*{5pt} }
\Large \textbf{Applications of Ultrasound}
\end{center}

\begin{center}
\vspace{12pt} Abstract text here...
\end{center}

\begin{multicols}{2}
[\section{Introduction}]
Introduction text here...
\end{multicols}

\begin{multicols}{2}
[\section{Theory}]
Theory text here...
\end{multicols}

\begin{multicols}{2}
[\section{Methodology}]
Text here...
\end{multicols}

For the headers I have tried using the 'thispagestyle' function, but I find this affects both the header and the footer so it is not very useful. I also know within the 'fancyhead{}' environment you can specify where you want the header to appear, but I only know how to do this so that it appears on odd/even pages etc, not just the first page.

For centering the title in the columns I really don't know what to do, I've tried adding an indent/spaces before the title, but this is a 'cheap' way of trying to solve this issue, and the number label is not shifted by this amount as it is added by LaTeX automatically adds the number in.

Any tips on how to resolve these issues would be very much appreciated! As I do not want to have to go back to using MS Word (where trying move images/graphs is even more of a nightmare than this!).

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need a header on the front page? Can't you just put a title and your name in the main part of the document?

If you want your outcome to look like the example you give, why don't you just use revtex4? It's much neater than your forcing of the columns (at the very least, you should probably use the twocolumn option of article).

Last edited:
cristo said:
Why do you need a header on the front page? Can't you just put a title and your name in the main part of the document?

If you want your outcome to look like the example you give, why don't you just use revtex4? It's much neater than your forcing of the columns (at the very least, you should probably use the twocolumn option of article).

Hi sorry, I need a header (i.e. my name and student ID) on the front page as it is part of the submission guidelines set by my University, and how exactly do I use this 'revtex4'? The only thing I want to be the same as in the example really is the columns, figures etc. To adhere to my submission guidelines I need to use 12pt size font, 1.5line spacing, the header mentioned above, and page numbering in the footer.

What is TeX?

TeX is a typesetting system designed for creating high-quality documents, particularly scientific and technical reports. It was created by Donald Knuth in 1978 and is widely used in academia and publishing.

Why should I use TeX for writing scientific reports?

TeX offers precise control over formatting, making it ideal for creating complex documents with mathematical equations, graphs, and tables. It also has a consistent and professional look, making it a popular choice for scientific publishing.

Is TeX difficult to learn?

While TeX may have a steep learning curve, it is not overly difficult to learn. There are many resources available online, including tutorials and user forums, to help you get started. With practice, you can become proficient in using TeX for your scientific reports.

Are there any alternatives to TeX for writing scientific reports?

Yes, there are other typesetting systems available, such as LaTeX and Microsoft Word. However, TeX is still widely used and considered the standard for scientific and technical publishing due to its precision and professional look.

Can I collaborate with others using TeX?

Yes, TeX can be used for collaborative writing by using version control systems, such as Git, or online platforms like Overleaf. This allows multiple authors to work on the same document simultaneously and track changes made by each person.