Riemann Curvature Tensor Symmetries Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses expanding $$\varepsilon^{abcd} R_{abcd}$$ using four identities of the Riemann curvature tensor: symmetry, antisymmetry of the first and last pair of indices, and cyclicity. The goal is to show that the expression reduces to zero. By using the identities, it is shown that the contraction on the left-hand side is equal to -2 times the contraction on the right-hand side. As the Levi Civita symbol is antisymmetric under odd permutations of its indices and R is antisymmetric under the interchange of its first and last two indices, it can be concluded that the contraction is equal to zero.
Emil
I am trying to expand $$\varepsilon^{{abcd}} R_{{abcd}}$$ by using four identities of the Riemann curvature tensor:

Symmetry
$$R_{{abcd}} = R_{{cdab}}$$
Antisymmetry first pair of indicies
$$R_{{abcd}} = - R_{{bacd}}$$
Antisymmetry last pair of indicies
$$R_{{abcd}} = - R_{{abdc}}$$
Cyclicity
$$R_{{abcd}} + R_{{adbc}} + R_{{acdb}} = 0$$

From what I understand, the terms should cancel out and I should end up with is $$\varepsilon^{{abcd}}R_{{abcd}} = 0$$. What I ended up with was this mess:

$$\begin{array}{l}
\varepsilon^{{abcd}} R_{{abcd}} = R_{\left[ {abcd} \right]} =
\frac{1}{4!} \left( \underset{- R_{{dcab}}}{\underset{+
R_{{cdab}}}{\underset{- R_{{abdc}}}{\underset{{\color{dark green}
+ R_{{badc}}}}{\underset{- {\color{red} {\color{black}
R_{{bacd}}}}}{{\color{blue} R_{{abcd}}}}}}}} +
\underset{{\color{magenta} - R_{{adbc}}}}{\underset{{\color{red} +
R_{{cbad}}}}{\underset{- R_{{cbda}}}{\underset{+
R_{{bcda}}}{{\color{magenta} {\color{black} R_{{dabc}}}}}}}} +
\underset{- R_{{abdc}}}{\underset{+ R_{{dcba}}}{\underset{-
R_{{cdba}}}{\underset{- R_{{dcab}}}{\underset{{\color{dark green}
+ R_{{badc}}}}{\underset{- R_{{bacd}}}{\underset{+
R_{{abcd}}}{R_{{cdab}}}}}}}}} + \underset{+
R_{{dabc}}}{\underset{- R_{{cbda}}}{\underset{{\color{red} +
R_{{cbad}}}}{\underset{- {\color{blue} {\color{black}
R_{{bcad}}}}}{{R_{{bcda}}}}}}} - \underset{-
R_{{bdca}}}{\underset{{\color{blue} + R_{{acdb}}}}{\underset{+
R_{{dbca}}}{\underset{- R_{{dbac}}}{\underset{+
R_{{bdac}}}{R_{{acbd}}}}}}} - \underset{{\color{blue} +
R_{{adbc}}}}{\underset{- R_{{bcda}}}{\underset{+ {\color{blue}
{\color{black} R_{{bcad}}}}_{}}{\underset{{\color{red} -
R_{{cbad}}}}{R_{{adcb}}}}}} - \underset{{\color{black} +
R_{{abcd}}}}{\underset{- R_{{bacd}}}{\underset{{\color{dark green}
+ R_{{badc}}}}{R_{{abdc}}}}} - \underset{{\color{magenta} +
R_{{abcd}}}}{\underset{- R_{{abdc}}}{\underset{{\color{red}
{\color{dark green} + R_{{badc}}}}}{\underset{- {\color{red}
{\color{black} R_{{bacd}}}}}{R_{{cdba}}}}}} \right)
\end{array}$$

where I can get rid of the blue or the purple terms using cyclicity (sorry for colors but it'll be a pain to change it), but I'm stuck because I can't see how I can get all the terms to cancel. The main problem seems to be is that the last term in the cyclicity identity $$\left(R_{{acdb}} \right)$$ can only be acquired from the 5th term $$\left(R_{{acbd}} \right)$$ in the expression i have. After I get rid of 6 terms with cyclicity I was thinking I could get of what remains with some symmetry relationship. Am I going down the wrong path here? Do I need another relationship? Carroll in ``Introduction to General Relativity'' says in eq 3.83 that all I have to do is expand the expression for $$R_{\left[ {abcd}\right]}$$ and mess with the indicies using the 4 identities to proove that it reduces to zero. Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see:
[itex] \epsilon^{abcd} R_{abcd}[/itex]

By using the symmetries and antisymmetries you won't get anything, because both R and E have the same identities.

[itex] \epsilon^{abcd} = - \epsilon^{bacd}[/itex]
[itex] \epsilon^{abcd} = - \epsilon^{abdc}[/itex]
[itex] \epsilon^{abcd} = \epsilon^{cdab}[/itex]

So you might have to use the cycling identity:

[itex]R_{abcd} = - R_{adbc} - R_{acdb}[/itex]

then look at the contraction:
LHS: [itex] \epsilon^{abcd} R_{abcd}[/itex]

RHS:
[itex] -\epsilon^{abcd} R_{adbc}= -\epsilon^{adbc}R_{adbc} \equiv -\epsilon^{abcd}R_{abcd} [/itex]
whereas the second term:
[itex] -\epsilon^{abcd} R_{acdb}= - \epsilon^{acdb}R_{acdb} \equiv -\epsilon^{abcd} R_{abcd} [/itex]

explain steps: In the first = I have used the symmetries of epsilon.. in the equivelant step I just renamed the summed indices.

So you have:
[itex] \epsilon^{abcd} R_{abcd} = - 2 \epsilon^{abcd}R_{abcd}[/itex]
so it must be zero?

I hope this helps...Sorry but I don't understand what matrix is the one you have written...

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply!

I'm having trouble understanding the first = sign. How you got from
$$\varepsilon^{abcd} \overset{\left( i i \right)}{\longrightarrow} -
\varepsilon^{abdc} \longrightarrow ? \longrightarrow
\varepsilon^{adbc}$$ As far as I can see from the three identitites you
can't switch d and b like that. The identities allow either switching the
first pair of indicies with the second pair (iii) then
(i) and (ii) allow switching the two indicies
in the first OR the second pair, respectively. I understand the idea of
renaming the indicies in the equivalence sign you did afterwards.

$$ (i) \varepsilon^{{abcd}} = - \varepsilon^{{bacd}}$$
$$ (ii) \varepsilon^{{abcd}} = - \varepsilon^{{abdc}}$$
$$ (iii) \varepsilon^{{abcd}} = \varepsilon^{{cdab}}$$

the epsilon is the Levi Civita symbol... it's symmetric under even permutations of its indices and antisymmetric under odd permutations of its indices. Or put in other words, it's a totally antisymmetric thing...that's not the case for R, which is an antisymmetric tensor to its first 2 and last 2 indices and symmetric under the interchange of them two...
The (i),(ii),(iii) you write and which I referred to is just an illustration of this property and I referred to them because I wanted to tell you that you can't eventually use that to show eg [itex]symmmetric \times antisymmetric =0[/itex], but you had to use the cyclic property of R to work it out.

i: is an odd permutation of indices (odd=1) a,b
ii: is again an odd permutation of indices c,d
iii: is even (4) permutation of indices:
[itex]\epsilon^{abcd}= -\epsilon^{acbd} = \epsilon^{acdb}= - \epsilon^{cadb} =\epsilon^{cdab}[/itex]
So [itex] \epsilon^{abcd}= \epsilon^{cdab}[/itex]

Last edited:
Great! I was getting the Levi Civita properties confused with the Riemann Tensor's properties. Thanks again I think I got it.

^editted.

1. What is the Riemann Curvature Tensor Symmetries Proof?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor Symmetries Proof is a mathematical proof that demonstrates the symmetries of the Riemann curvature tensor, which is a fundamental mathematical object used in the study of curved spaces. It shows that the Riemann curvature tensor exhibits several symmetries, which can be expressed in terms of its components.

2. Why is the Riemann Curvature Tensor important?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor is important because it provides a way to measure the intrinsic curvature of a space. It is used in various fields of mathematics and physics, such as general relativity, differential geometry, and cosmology, to describe the curvature of spacetime and study the behavior of matter and energy in curved spaces.

3. What are the symmetries of the Riemann Curvature Tensor?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor has several symmetries, including the symmetry under swapping the first and second indices, the symmetry under swapping the third and fourth indices, and the anti-symmetry under swapping the first and third (or second and fourth) indices. These symmetries are known as the first, second, and third Bianchi identities, respectively.

4. How does the Riemann Curvature Tensor Symmetries Proof work?

The proof of the Riemann Curvature Tensor symmetries involves using the properties of the Riemann tensor and the Bianchi identities. By manipulating the indices of the Riemann tensor and applying these identities, it can be shown that the tensor exhibits the desired symmetries.

5. What are the applications of the Riemann Curvature Tensor Symmetries Proof?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor Symmetries Proof has several applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to simplify calculations and equations in differential geometry and general relativity. It also helps in understanding the geometric properties of curved spaces and their relationship to physical phenomena, such as gravity and the behavior of matter and energy.